Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Both All-Clad and Calphalon make a number of different styles of pots so it's difficult to give a simple answer. The most common All-Clad pots I've seen are made of aluminium with stainless cladding inside and out. The most common Calphalon pots are hard-anodized (type III anodizing) aluminum. The surface of the aluminum has actually been converted to a very thin, but extremely hard layer of aluminum oxide, a ceramic. In the limited experience I've had with both, the All-Clad deglazes better.

But in my humble opinion, both of these types of pots are vastly inferior to copper pots, as well as more expensive. I wrote an article last year that addresses all these issues. You may find it helpful.

·
Registered
211 Posts
E. Dehillerin has an English language web site. I'd recommend the 2.5mm thick, stainless steel (cuprinox) pots. The thinner-walled pots with the brass handles are for table service. Dehillerin ships to the U.S. and the cost to your door will be between 130 to 150% of the cost of the pots alone by the time shipping, customs, and custom brokers fees are added in -- still cheaper than All-Clad from Williams-Sonoma. When you order from the web site, they respond with a quote for the pots and shipping. The price will be in French francs or euros. Your credit card will probably charge 2% for the currency conversion. If you approve the price, you fax your approval to them so they have your signature on file. My orders have generally arrived in about 2 weeks.

The pots they are selling are restaurant quality, heavy-duty pots. I don't know if there is a warranty for them, but I have never known one to fail, either. You can always add the question to the comments section of the original order inquiry.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.