Chef Forum banner

Can I cook from frozen?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  koukouvagia 
#1 ·
Hello!

I have frozen burgers, steaks, chicken wings, chicken thighs, salmon fillets.

Can I put them frozen in a pan to cook them?

Are there any adjustments? Will they be made good?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Frozen steaks and burgers on the flat top with a lid is pretty standard truck stop cooking.  Chicken and fish are different  - Not sure I would cook from frozen as they would be way overdone on the outside by the time the middle is done.  Just my opinion - YMMV

#4 ·
Steaks - yes!  In fact there was a whole episode on America's Test Kitchen about cooking a frozen steak.  If you subscribe to them you can look it up but alas only subscribers have access so I can't post here.

Burgers, not sure why not.  I cook up frozen meatballs all the time and it works great.

Salmon and chicken are tricky.  I would only attempt to poach them if still frozen.  The good news about salmon and chicken wings though is that they thaw very quickly, just place them (still in their wrapping) in room temperature water and replace the water every couple of minutes.  It goes by quickly.  

#5 ·
Steaks - yes! In fact there was a whole episode on America's Test Kitchen about cooking a frozen steak. If you subscribe to them you can look it up but alas only subscribers have access so I can't post here.
Cook's Illustrated has an online video showing how to cook steaks from frozen that anyone can watch without a subscription. They say it also works for frozen fish.

Here's the video:

Basically, these are their instructions for cooking a steak, though it's best to watch the whole video:

#6 ·
Cook's Illustrated has an online video showing how to cook steaks from frozen that anyone can watch without a subscription. They say it also works for frozen fish.

Here's the video:

Basically, these are their instructions for cooking a steak, though it's best to watch the whole video:

Thanks but can't spend half an hour to cook a steak!

#8 · (Edited)
If you will invest in a sous vide device with remote operation, you can manage all of these with a quick flash cook when you get home.

Anova or Joule are the primary home sous vide devices and you can run them remotely from your smartphone. Anova just released a new more inexpensive version at $99. Not cheap, but if it makes your meals work out, it seems a reasonable investment.

See this reference for the basics of delayed sous vide cooking. Read their experimentation as well to understand the variables. And give it a try yourself on a day you can monitor things so you KNOW how your set up will work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.