Chef Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I did, I did purchase it. Yep! A new kitchen requires at least one new book!!! ;)

- Chocolate caramel tart with fleur de sel
- White chocolate espresso tart
- Earl grey truffles
- Pineapples and pink peppercorn

and a few of her recipes with apples are all on my "ToDo List"!

Isa: I've made strawberry jam with tarragon a few years ago and it's amazing.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I always knew I had psychic abilities. ;)

I can understand your point of having no one to sell those desserts to. It’s not a consideration for me. By the way how are things going for you since you quit your job?

I find this book challenging and exciting. It takes a certain audacity to mixes herbs like she does and it makes me curious what will bay leaves taste of in a creme caramel? I don’t know why but I want to try it.

Yes Kimmie the roasted pineapple looks great, so do the apricots with chamomile. I’m curious about the black pepper ice cream. And I could go on and on.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I'm really enjoying the time off! Getting alot done around the house, etc... my husband maybe enjoying it too much....I actually cook dinner every night (and do laundry AND clean house, yeks!). It's been fun cooking again, we used to eat carry out all the time since I didn't arrive home until after 7 p.m.. At first it was like I forgot how to cook. Now I'm having a blast.
I even bought a new cookbook (not a baking book). It's called 'Diners' on American diners, really really good so far (for that style of cooking)!

Do you taste the recipe in your head? I totally visualize and taste each recipe. Bay leaf in my custard, not a chance, it's too strong and not a stand alone flavor for my palate. There are other non traditional herbs/seasoning I can see with custard like currys, safron or teas and most veggies, but bay leaf gags my thoughts unless it's seasoning a veg/savory custard. My tongue likes experimentation with h.ds', interest and excitement in dinner but harmony in dessert. Then it leaves happy and un-assaulted, ready for relaxation.

Pepper is fine in desserts too, but my mind can only see it in certain applications. I don't mind it with sweet fruits, but in ice cream, no thanks.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I’m so glad you’re enjoying yourself Wendy. Must be nice for a change to have the time to cook what you like when you want. Plus you get to sleep in.

I do try to imagine the taste in my head. To help me visualise it, I can’t resist licking the spatula once I’m done. An habit I got as a kid, my mother always let us lick the bowl clean…

If you like saffron I’m sure you’ll try the saffron rice pudding. The recipe that trouble me the most, I can already hear Kimmie disagreeing with me, is the truffled rice pudding. I could understand truffle with chocolate, a more earthy flavour mind you it would probably be too overpowering so I guess she’s right to use it with milder flavours.

If you think of wines, and all the different aromas you can find it in from spices to fruits and vegetables. Why not push it a bit and use those flavours in your desserts. It’s not too far fetch, is it?

Not everyone will agree with her uses of herbs with desserts, most people won’t be willing to try. But then would it stay on the menu if it wasn’t selling? I tried to get my mother to taste chocolate with fleur de sel, to see if the idea appealed to her, it didn’t. She said she didn’t care for it. I think it makes the chocolate tastier. With her reaction I’ll never get her to try a bay leaf creme caramel or pepper ice cream.

I need to get an idea of how it taste. I will try to seep a bay leaf in a bit of milk to see how it taste. I’ll do the same with pepper. As you get older your taste buds loose some of their abilities, keeping this in mind, those people might enjoy having stronger flavour in their dessert. My father might be a good candidate for pepper ice cream. I’ll have to run the idea by him.

Now I really need to go make some fruitcakes…..

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Absolutely not, Isa.

Concerning the Truffled Rice Pudding, I would try just a very tiny batch, like 1 portion or 2 at best!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Let me know when you try it Kimmie, I'll want a full report. ;) I forgot to steep milk with bay leaf this afternoon, I will do it eventually.

All this discussion reminded me of a similar one about vanilla in savoury dish. If lobster can be served with vanilla how far fetch is it to think spices and herbs traditionally used with savoury food can be used with sweets.

This whole topic is really getting to me, in a good way. I'm very curious about this whole approach.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Isa,

When I make it, I will make sure you taste it...

BTW, even though I really do prefer lobster in it's most simple form, I must admit that lobster with vanilla sauce is really quite good, especially the one made by Chef Normand Laprise at Le Toqué! Restaurant.

:lips:

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.