Chef Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
453 Posts
Right, I agree 100%, which is why I added the caveat emptor part. I was merely trying to simplify the most very basic way to come up with a price for the first time someone caters a function. It sounds like the OP has never priced an event before. I did not want to make his head spin. I think when you add in all the factors that we consider when you get into the advanced side of pricing an event, newbies tend to nod off. I think the "times 3 rule" is good for most first timers to price a basic event and then later on when they wonder why they didn't make any money, they can delve into the whole-really-making-money-being-a-chef thing, like Pete did (and a few of us do).

Surely, the OP is not opening his own catering company at this moment... He is just dipping his toes in the water. 

Great advice though, Meez. Soon, I may start to ask a few of these advanced pricing type questions that Pete was so good at answering, as I may be awarded a big contract in the near future that will put me back in the hotseat of foodservice business ownership/management. 

· Registered
986 Posts
I am pretty much homeless yeah, but that doesn't change my skill level. I do work BOH yes, and i'm not sure what your acronyms stand for. P&L? FT? Not sure what your intentions of those questions are, as you never answered mine.

And everyone's definition of a chef is different, however I agree to some degree that your definition is relatively close, but not exactly correct.

Alex.
How can anyone run a kitchen and not know how to read a profit and loss statement? Maybe a hot dog cart just using cash flow?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.