Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5,290 Posts
@satartia,

I think you thoughts and idea are commendable.

This concept has been tried many times. Pros: if successful-very rewarding

Cons, To produce income so that you and your husband can live on, you would need a

business plan. due diligence in the food industry is exhausting although doable. Now a days you cannot rely on word of mouth to gain successes. The business usually will not come to you, you have to seek it out.

An important element for profit is an immutable pricing structure.

One big obstacle I see is to identify a target audience with the same financial demographics. I'm not quite sure how you develop an algorithm to achieve that.

Just some first thoughts. Not meant to discourage.

oh BTW, I understand your have dietary knowledge but I would certainly have a medical dietician secured just for liability issues.

· Registered
5,290 Posts
Hey Mimi,

Won't fly under Texas cottage law. Although all agencies/inspectors are barred from entering your home cottage kitchen unless there is a complaint lodged.

One problem with delivery of fresh food is that the perishable window starts as soon as the food leaves the cooler. The window can't be renewed. All future time is

added to the original window start.

I had a similar experience as Silver Pantry. Before 2008 I had a separate production kitchen for wholesaling to retail customers.

My opinion is that In Texas it basically comes down to your tax status. We did produce and deliver some potentially hazardous foods "for profit". Whether fresh or frozen

it took me from a production kitchen to a manufacturing kitchen. So that kitchen resulted in a plethora of hurdles to clear. The manufacturing permit is generated and is

overseen by the state, eliminating local supervision.

State inspector visited frequently, sometimes weekly.

Some examples of required documentation readily available besides the physical inspection. Ingredients labels in descending order. Nutritional information.

Weight label, important because that's also falls under the Weights and Measures agency. Packaging with approved materials, confirmation that all this information

has been delivered to the purchaser so they can have it in their files, and on and on.

One big difference I did find was that the manufacturing inspectors were very knowledgeable and consistent with their interpretation of the FDA guidelines.

Everyone of them visited with the intention of helping and supporting us, rather than critiquing us.

Unfortunately after 2008 my convention business dropped off some, and all the required time I had to direct towards that operation was just didn't seem to be enough compensation

for all.

I shut it down and absorbed all employees into our retail operations.

Does this make any sense? I'm a bit distracted by finally getting to last years tax returns.:>) It's hard to believe the amount of unpaid hours I spend working for the government.

Performing their investigation of employees legal status, collecting their taxes that customers and employees incur and are responsible for. Deciphering, calculating, documenting, and reporting all your findings with the collected funds. Employee debt collection (state workers comp)

Lord knows if they think you have made a mistake. You're guilty until you spend more unpaid hours to prove yourself innocent.

SO FOR THOSE THAT THINK THAT OWNERSHIP IS END ALL! REALLY?

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

· Registered
5,290 Posts
I think the food squeaks by as far as regulations go. And no, residents probably don't care if it is healthy, but their family members do. And so does the doctor taking care of them. From that standard I've been looking into programs to become a licensed Registered Dietitian. That way I would have the training.

This is a very rural area and the mean income is fairly low when compared to the rest of the United States. Not sure yet if we could provide the service and have an income. I'm researching what insurance may pay for. Still in the beginning stages of the idea.
I agree, food probably squeaks by the regulations. I visit a couple of my former Chefs regularly. Each is in a different assisted living facility. One upscale and a little more private, the other is Medicare driven.

I can't remember the last time I visited either one and did not have food/meals with me. I either bring it from home or stop off to pick up something. I try to stop at all the new places when they open.

They both enjoy that immensely. It takes them back. We eat, and then comes the critiques and the speculations as to whether the place is going to make it or not.

I think you are right there. Especially the mention of income.

I personally think the squeaks may stop when the source of the food is from a 'for profit' venue. To serve food to the public for profit I think you enter the business realm. That venue comes with

a whole lot of baggage as mentioned above.

You mentioned family and doctors. I think the issue of liabilities would be your major hurdle.

I'm not trying to be negative towards your idea, trust me. Both of my Chefs have no local family. It really saddens me that both have succumb to eating mediocre food. Totally opposite food personality from when they mentored me.

I have been making and selling food to the public for profit all my life. That's the only reason I post to you. Know that I am always available to you with support. Personal messaging also works well for communication.

I think you have a good idea. It will happen if you really want it to happen. There is always a way to climb a mountain. I have witnessed ideas that seem impossible to attain. The dedicated ones get support from all different sources. Mentors, Angels, Out of the box investors/support, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.