Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,344 Posts
I agree with @halb. Without knowing where you're from and what zoning and code restrictions are in place, there's really no specific advice we can give.

However, I have had an indoor char griller and they are a lot of work. Yes, you get the smell throughout the house and even the best exhaust systems will not prevent grease from getting everywhere. If it were me, I would save the money on the indoor char griller and build a nice outdoor set up. I grill all year round so, for me, its worth it.

As for cleanup and maintenance, char grillers require a lot of work. Not only do you have to clean the surfaces, but, you also have to pull it apart periodically and give it a thorough cleaning or else you will likely have that "grill" smell in your house.

But, the biggest issue that could come into play down the road is when you go to sell the house. They say the kitchen sells the house but, that can also work in the opposite direction. There aren't too many home buyers who are interested in a home kitchen with such an elaborate professional kitchen style set up. You could end up with a house that cost more to build than its value. If you plan on living there for the rest of your life, then, it doesn't matter. But, if there is any possibility the home will be for sale at some point, this elaborate kitchen could come back to haunt you.

Good luck. :)

· Registered
1,344 Posts
Yes, I own 2 portable deep fryers and I rarely use them inside, if ever. I built an outdoor grill setup a number of years ago made out of brick and stone. Its protected by roof and for all intents and purposes, its an outdoor kitchen that I use all year round. Whenever I use the fryers, I simply set them up on the outdoor counter space to avoid the smell of grease and oil spreading throughout the house. If I used the fryers more frequently, I would invest in a commercial fryer and add it to my outdoor setup.
Deep frying indoors will always cause that greasy smell regardless of how good your vent system is. There really is no way around it. Not even the best, most expensive vent systems will completely eliminate the smell of grease and oil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.