I spied some local fava (broad) beans at our farm market a few days ago and couldn't resist.

If you've never had fava beans, you're missing out! I will admit, they are a bit of work, but they are so amazing. When they're in season, the beans are creamy, toothsome, and nutty with a slightly astringent after taste (in the best possible way).

Did I mention that they're a bit of work? Here's why: The beans come in a pod. And inside the pods, the beans are encased in yet another shell. Yikes.

This is what you'll see once you've taken them out of the pod.

green fava bean

At this point, I blanch them in a pot of salted water for a few minutes before putting them in an ice bath. Once they've cooled a bit, you can pinch the shells off to reveal the little cuties in all their deliciousness.

fava beans soaking in water

I once tried to shell the beans raw... It worked but not without me getting a huge hand cramp and a very sore neck. The beans didn't fare any better.

As you can see, some of the beans were a bit past their prime. That's one hazard of buying favas... You can't tell what they look like until you peel them! The perfectly green ones are what you want. The yellowed ones are a bit tougher and starchier but... waste not, want not, right?

fava beans in bowl

One of my favourite ways to enjoy the beans is to toss them with some small cubes of pecorino romano cheese, salt, pepper, and some good olive oil.

cubes of cheese

fava beans with cubes of cheese

What's the other way, you ask? Add some quinoa, avocado, lemon juice, garlic, ground cumin, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Yum!

We had our fava bean salad with some rillette and caprano goat cheese.

charcuterie plate with cheese, mustard, pickles, jam and rillette

We just had some rillette (rabbit and pork, to be precise) at Gudrun last Friday. It was one of five selections we had on our charcuterie platter.

gudrun fresh sheet

We sat outside under the most magnificent tree.

tree next to a house

Because we were outside, I couldn't get as many photos as I would have liked.

glass of red and glass of white rose

I had a glass of Dirty Laundry rosé and a glass of Pentage rosé. I preferred the Pentage to the Dirty Laundry because it was quite a bit drier.

charcuterie plate

The charcuterie and cheese were excellent. We had a 3 year aged vintage Gouda, a Kaamps Classic goat cheese, rosette de Lyon, Budapest Chorizo, and a house made rabbit and pork rillette. All of this came with condiments, walnuts, pickles, grapes, and bread.

D and I had a wonderful night chatting about our meal, drinks, and reconnecting at Gudrun. If you ever get a chance, you should visit this gem for their warm atmosphere and fantastic wine and food.

What are some of your favourite charcuterie and cheeses?