Chef Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard on the news that Milwaukee will be getting its first Krispy Kreme doughnut outlet soon. They broke ground today (it's really in West Allis), and it should open later in the fall. Are they really worth breaking my diet??? :confused:

·
Registered
85 Posts
NO MEZ!

BE STRONG... DON'T DO IT... DON'T DO IT.

We here in the great white north are not exposed to the temptation of the Krispy Kreme. We instead have "Tim Horton's" to deal with, a doughnut chain started by ...you guessed it, a hockey player.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Linda, I hope your resolve is contagious! I'd have to go out of my way to get to Krispy Kreme, but my curiosity may get the best of me. But since I'm not really a doughnut maven, resistance may not be futile. (And, I've lost 5 pounds this week, so why screw it up?)

[ August 24, 2001: Message edited by: Mezzaluna ]

·
Registered
750 Posts
Congratulations Mezzaluna! Don't give into temptation, stay strong. I've never eaten a Krisy Creme either and as long as we don't know what we're missing, they should be pretty easy to resist!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Mez,

I've heard of Krispy Kreme but never went so I don't really know what I'm missing.

Be strong Mez, don't give in to temptation. It's not worth it.

;)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
If you have never tried one, you guys, how can you say it's not worth it?
From my experience, it certainly IS worth it!
Small, perfectly crispy, tender and sweet. I sobered up plenty of times while in art school in Winston-Salem, NC-the home of Krispy Kreme. Savuer magazine lists KK as one of the top 100 reasons to love the south.
Give them a try and just spend an extra 10 minutes on the stair master!
By the way, what's with the cheese-glazed business? Never had one of those!!!???

[ August 24, 2001: Message edited by: foodnfoto ]

·
Registered
732 Posts
Well Linda, I guess Timmy Ho's ain't that bad, it sure beat's Radar's, I mean Robins donuts. Although I used to think that the best donuts were the ones the make at the college. My friends and I, we call Robin's, radars, because of the fact that when they first opened, it sort of became the second offfice for the RCMP.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I've been dieing to try them, with all the hype.....so my husband tells me last night he discovered they opened one right down the street from his main office. He's got to try them out and do I want him to bring me home one? Well of course!

So he tells eveyone around the office he's going to get a krispy kreme....after break he comes back to work and his boss asks him wheres the doughnuts? Oops, he didn't think to share and the boss was honestly mad at him all day....this he whines to me as soon as he got home this evening (I should have sympathy for him the boss was mad, right!).

"Well wheres MY krispy kreme?" (is he teasing me or what) I ask.

So he says "I didn't think they were such a big deal, just a soft glob of dough, no big deal".

Well, lets see..."if they weren't so good, then why did you eat the one you got for me!"

all I got was "oops".

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Foodnfoto,

If I was to cheat on my diet, it wouldn't be on some stupid donut. It would be on something really good and sooooooooo decadent! Sorry.

;)

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Yep but hot they are terribly sweet and crispy and doughy.....if they were a whole lot less sweet they'd be seriously dangerous...as it is if I'm in the area I'll think about um and maybe stop.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I never had one of these donuts,Are they really all that good?

If I had my druthers I would eat bienquets all day long. ( I know I spelled that wrong)
cc

·
Registered
85 Posts
Radars! Very funny Cool J.

My friend from Quebec refers to the Surete du Quebec (Quebec provincial police force) as "Des Beignes" ( franco slang for doughnuts). ;) Isn't that right Kimmie?

As for Timmy Ho's. I have a lovely view of the roof of Tim Horton's from my office window. ( As opposed to seniour counsel who has a million dollar view of Lake Ontario). I have to walk 5 feet past the door of Tim's every time I go to my car. I actually stopped going into Tims in June and am down 12 pounds.

I'm with Kimmie Mez...if your gonna fall off the wagon, do it for something better than a doughnut.

[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: Linda Smith ]

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Did you mean beignets cc Still not decadent enough to fall off the oll wagon!

That's funny Linda. If you want some real Quebec slang, it magically transforms into "les mangeux de beignes" ;)

BTW, it's not customary to congratulate someone for their loss...unless it's in relation to weight loss. Therefore, congrats for your 12# loss, Linda! Keep ignoring the donut shop...

:D

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I had 2 yesterday, finally.

My thoughts...we were served room temp. ones (where as their known for hot donuts). Even at room temp. they are the softest donuts I've eaten. I've made a fair amount of donuts and I've never been able to make anything similar. I've worked with doughs so soft I could barely get them in the grease with-out them deforming into a gooey mass, but after frying they don't remain THIS BIZZARELY SOFT. They must put an enormous amount of dough relaxer in it! I can't honestly concieve of how you can keep a dough sooooo soft after being fried and letting them sit for a bit!

It's was fun to watch them fry. They proof them on multi. stacked racks that feed them dirrectly into the fat. It's a short ride thru the shallow grease (which is half of the taste and most of the fun). The grease is clean and sweet.

The actual sizes' and appearance were very small and flattish, they really looked homemade by grandma (intentionally or not). I was actually supprised by their appearance, not pleasantly. They all seemed to be made with the same yeast dough. The crullers where embarrassingly small and unprofessional looking.

They had an enourmus amount of staff on hand for a sat. afternoon (most of them wheren't doing anything but chatting). The whole thing is a bit of a circus, if you take the circus away I think they'd loose 99% of their charm.

Honestly, I did enjoy the sweetness and the soft goo. It's is similar to eating cookie dough, it's the donuts lovers version of eating soft undercooked dough. So I guess it depends upon your tastes.........

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
You hit it, they are oddly appealing and yes, I'd enjoy having them again but I would not wait to buy them.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm definitely into "oddly appealing"! Now I'll definitely try one. Reminds me of those gooey sesame balls you can find at Dim Sum places, filled with sweet bean paste. I love them! They are glutinous and chewy. Thank you to all those who've cheered me on to self-control; I'll take a bite, then throw the rest into the trash. It's the experience I'm after, not self-defeat.

Foodnfoto: the cheese glaze was a nod to the new store's location in Wisconsin. ;)

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I'm sad and disappointed Mez! Why not cheat on something right out of CHOCOLATE PASSION?

:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.