Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though the following recipe uses a wonderful sauce, it doesn't fit the requirements of a mother sauce, though it really elevates a good cut of pork. I'm talking about the Cantonese pork recipe, Char Siu. I made it for the yesterday, for the first time, and have a new favorite pork recipe. I don't have pictures, but trust me on this, the color, texture, and taste were spot on. I made minor changes to the recipes I found on line, like omitting the wine, and using Mirin, and red, gel food coloring rather than fermented bean paste. So here's my version:

The recipe calls for Boston Butt, 2 to 3 lb. The store was out. So, I purchased a fresh, bone-in shoulder picnic (uncured, not smoked), same size, but bone in. I scored the ham all the way around to let the char siu marinade soak in. It marinated for 4 hours.

It came out tasting amazing. The fresh picnic, and marinade were placed into the InstaPot. I used the hi-pressure setting on he InstaPot for 40 minutes. When done, the meat was removed, and the sauce used to cover the sliced/cut picnic. Half of the sauce was reduced, with an additional 2 tbs. honey, 3 tbs. rice wine vinegar, 3 tbs. dark brown sugar, 2 tbs. soy sauce, 1/4 tsp. 5-spice,2 tbs. Mirin, and 2 tbs. hoisin sauce added. While the char siu was cooking, I made fried rice with shrimp. I added a bit of garlic powder, and 5-spice to the rice. The addition of the 5 spice to the cooking water fragranced the long grain rice to taste like a very nice Jasmin rice. It came out very good as well.

The meal isn't picture worthy, as removing the meat from the bone-in picnic didn't make for attractive slices. Suffice it to say that the color was red and beautiful, highlighting the meat. The final glaze was sticky, and delicious. Here's the ingredient list:
  • 4 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
  • 1/4 cup light soy sauce
  • 2 tbs. Mirin
  • 1 tbs. grated ginger
The glaze was poured evenly over the pork slices, and all was placed into a 450' F. oven for ten minutes. Everyone really enjoyed it, including me.

Late last night, I woke up, and headed for the kitchen. I just wanted a sip of ice water. The left over char siu sat in the fridge. I couldn't resist. I grabbed a fork and speared just a small piece of the pork. I was cold, surrounded by the char siu sauce, which had gelled from the collagen. It tasted so very good. It was all I could do to put the rest away, and head back to bed. Try this recipe. You won't be disappointed.:p

1 - 2 of 2 Posts