Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I preface this by saying that these chili recipes were developed for chili cook-offs, and make three gallons of chili per recipe. You can sale them down, or separate into meal sized portion in vacuum freezer bags. And keep a bottle of Tabasco Sauce handy, to cool your mouth down if you make my Raging Bull Chili, or some ice cold watermelon.o_O

2009 United Way Chili Cook-off, 1rst-place Prize-Winning Recipe, White Chili Category – Bob Flowers’ White Chili
I
n past years, I made this same basic recipe, but with chicken or pork as the meat, and with more potent hot peppers. So this year, I tweaked the herbs and spices, changed to ground beef, and reduced the heat. Everyone who has tried this recipe has fallen in love with it. It’s not as pretty as red chili, but it sure does taste great. Try this recipe on a cool fall night. It’ll warm you to your toes. This freezes well, and so can be divided into meal-size containers, or just brought to a pot luck. Enjoy.
Ingredients:
  • 24 oz. (3 cups) Great Northern Beans, cooked
  • 24 oz. Pinto Beans, cooked
  • ½ cup Salsa Verde (available in most grocery stores)
  • 1 large white onion, diced
  • ½ cup chopped green onion
  • 1 tbs. Sriracha brand Pepper Sauce
  • 2 tbs. Coriander, ground
  • 1 tbs. Cumin, ground
  • 2 stalks Celery, sliced with leaves
  • 1 ½ lb. Ground Beef (80/20 coarse grind)
  • 2 tsp. Kosher Salt, or 1 ½ tsp. table salt
  • 3 tbs. fresh Cilantro, chopped
  • 2, one-inch Serrano Chile Peppers, minced
  • ½ tsp. white pepper, ground (or you can use black pepper)
  • 2 cups heavy cream (1 pint)
  • ½ cup Masa Harina (can be found next to the corn meal at
your grocers)
* 3 tbs. cooking oil

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the diced onion. Sauté over medium heat while stirring until the onion begins to soften (about 2 minutes). Add the ground beef and flatten out. Let cook for about 5 minutes and then break it up. Stir and cook until the meat has lightly browned. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the Masa Harina, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for two hours, stirring every twenty minutes or so to prevent the chili from sticking. Taste the chili and correct the seasoning to your taste (add more salt if needed).

Chief's Chili #6
Ok. Due to popular demand, here it is in all its unbalanced glory. Think sixes. In fact, I think I'll call this recipe Chili #6 This is a medium chili, with a rich, and thick texture. It's great anytime, but especially when the temperatures begin to drop.
*6 lbs. diced tomatoes (pour off the juice before adding to the pot)
+6 lb. can Kidney Beans (#10 can)
*6 lb. can Pinto Beans
*6 stalks Celery, sliced
*6 lb. ground beef (good quality stuff)
*6 ea. dried Tabasco Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers,
*3 ea. Dried Ghost Peppers
*2 green peppers
*1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
*3 large onions
*2 tsp. ground Coriander
*1 1/2 tbs. ground Cumin
*17 oz. hot Chili Powder
*1/4 cup freshly-chopped Cilantro
*3 squares unsweetened Baker's Chocolate
*¼ cup masa harina
*Mesquite flavor Liquid Smoke to taste, or better yet, grill the ground beef over smoky hardwood, with the lid down, before breaking up for the chili.

Brown The ground beef and set aside. In a huge pot (must hold about 7 gallons) add the canned stuff. Chop the onion into bite-sized pieces and throw into the pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for two hours, stirring every fifteen minutes or so to prevent burning the chili to the bottom of the pan.. Remove from the heat and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend. Put into meal-sized freezer bags and save for future use, leaving enough out for a good meal. serve with softened, fresh corn tortillas broken ad added to the bowls, or with good cornbread with butter.

Raging Bull Hot Chili
This chili was entered into our town’s chili-cook off. One of the judges was a transplanted Texan who had judged cook offs in Texas. After all was said and done, and I didn’t even place, he came to me and stated that the other judges didn’t know chili, as in the hot category, mine was both the spiciest, and by far had the best flavor. I do have to admit, most of the judges weren’t ready for that much heat. This chili is inspired by my Raging Bull salsa, but in a chili. If you like things really hot, you will enjoy this chili. But be forewarned, you’d better be ready for burn-your-hair-off hot.

Ingredients:
*6 lbs. diced tomatoes (1 #10 can) (Pour off the water before adding to the pot)
*6 lb. can dark red Kidney Beans (1 #10 can)
*6 lb. can Pinto Beans (1 #10 can)
*6 stalks Celery, sliced
*6 lb. ground beef (good quality stuff)
*6 ea. dried Tabasco Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers
*1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
*3 scotch bonnet peppers (Habenero), minced
*3 large onions
*2 tsp. ground Coriander
*1 1/2 tbs. ground Cumin
*17 oz. hot Chili Powder
*1/2 cup freshly-chopped Cilantro
*¼ tsp. Carolina Reaper powder
*¼ tsp. Trinidad Scorpion Maruga powder
*¼ tsp. 7-pod Duglah powder
*¼ tsp. Ghost Pepper powder
*3 squares unsweetened Baker's Chocolate
*Mesquite flavor Liquid Smoke to taste, or better yet, grill the ground beef over smoky hardwood, with the lid down, before breaking up for the chili.

Brown The ground beef and set aside. In a huge pot (must hold about 7 gallons) add the canned stuff. Chop the onion into bite-sized pieces and throw into the pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for two hours, stirring every fifteen minutes or so to prevent burning the chili to the bottom of the pan.. Remove from the heat and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend. Put into meal-sized freezer bags and save for future use, leaving enough out for a good meal. serve with softened, fresh corn tortillas broken ad added to the bowls.

Frisky Calf Hot Chili
This chili is toned down for regular mortals, who love a bit of heat, but not too much. It has a deep, rich chili flavor, with lots of meat, beans, and just the right amount of veggies to make a rich, thick, stick to your ribs chili.
  • 19 oz. ca n diced tomatoes
  • 15 oz. dark red Kidney Beans
  • 15 oz. Pinto, red, or black Beans
  • 2 stalks Celery, sliced
  • 1.5 lb. Coarse ground beef (ask butcher for coarse grind 80/20 ground sirloin, or round)
  • 1 ea. dried Tabasco Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers
  • 1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
  • 3 Ancho peppers, minced (hint: place Masa Harina, cumin, coriander, and ancho into your food processor, or blender to make you own chili powder to add wonderful depth of flavor)
  • 1 red sweet pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 large onion, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. ground Coriander
  • 1 tbs. ground Cumin
  • 2 tbs. chili Powder
  • 2 tbs. freshly-chopped Cilantro
  • 1 dash Ghost Pepper powder
  • 1 squares unsweetened Baker's Chocolate
  • 2 tbs. Masa Harina
  • 2 tbs. cooling oil
    Mesquite flavor Liquid Smoke to taste, or better yet, grill the ground beef over smoky hardwood, with the lid down, before breaking up for the chili.
Brown The ground beef and set aside. In a large Dutch oven, add cooking oi;. Heat over medium-high until it begins to shimmer. Add the onion, peppers, and herbs, and spices. Stir for thee minutes. Add the ground beef. Continue cooking until the beef is browned. Keep the fat in the pan as many of the flavors are fat soluble. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to mix evenly. Reduce heat to medium, and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove lid, stir, and reduce to desired thickness. If possible, make this the day before, as it’s even better after refrigerating overnight.

In the picture, I'm Bob. I made the chili. The others helped serve it to the crowds.

My mother’s chili was almost a soup. We crumbled saltine crackers into our bowls sometimes, depending on the mood of the person. I loved it that way, and still do. However, I also love this thick, hearty version. This chili will work for both. Enjoy.
Table Smile Red Hat Social group

· Registered
2,666 Posts
Thanks for posting these!
Nice to see, also, that these have beans. I have heard that lots of competitions don't allow beans, and I've been to one where this was true, and I hate it. These look delicious!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts