Chef Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying a fine Chinoise, and most recommendations for their use suggest using a ladle to push the puree through the sieve, but I've also seen a number of recommendations (mostly from manufacturers) to use a conical pestle.

So what should I use (i.e. which tool gives superior results)?

Thanks,

rescaldo

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
A ladle works just fine and is generally easily available. The conical pestle is just one more thing to wash. It will get right down into the point of the chinoise, but so will the handle of a wooden spoon... of that amount of effort is required.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
For fruit, I use a conical pestle with a ridged chinois .If I use a ladle on a ridged one, it seems to take much longer. It seems only push

the fruit out of the bottom 2-3" of the chinois. I use a ladle on the rounded bottom mesh kind, always making sure the ladle is smaller than the bottom..

I've seen quite a few mesh chinois in the trash after someone constantly gets after it with a larger ladle. If the chinois is mesh and not rounded

I usually use a spoon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.