Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,468 Posts
If you want to spray chocolate, you are better using a certified food safe gun like the Krebs LM45 electric food gun. Most people don't stop to think that paint guns are not built from food standard materials or in hygenic environments.
I am in agreement here and it seems I have seen an actual regulation at some point in my life SOMEWHERE.

Chefs...stop and think about the plastic container that holds the paint/chocolate.

There are all sorts of regulations about plastic toys.

Huge scandal a few years back about toys manufactured by Fisher-Price in China (contained toxic substances not allowed by FDA).

Big recall...was sort of a wakeup call re what was being imported without really checking just because the importer was a trusted company with a big wallet.

Started the whole "Buy American" movement.

I actually went to the fda.gov site (showing the love here, Chefs!) and noticed the department that takes care of that sort of thing was not funded in 2013.

Looked around a bit and now have a huge headache and need to go lay down.

If you are interested....http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/PackagingFCS/default.htm

mimi

Will that one tiny portion of (product decorated with paint store gun) kill the guest who consumed it?

Most likely not.

IMO this is about ethics and responsibility.

You do whatcha gotta do to get by, right?

m.

· Registered
4,468 Posts
Thanks K.
Believe me I am far from perfect and have been known climb up on the nearest box and spout snarky drivel on occasion.
The hardware as kitchen tool issue is one I have felt strongly about ever since I discovered Alton Brown.
We see eye to eye on most everything but this one subject.

mimi

· Registered
4,468 Posts
I am happy to see improvements in this area.
Maybe now more will be willing to spend the extra $$ and get the real deal and not be so tempted to go the hardware store route.
I completely understand the temptation to save the money but if the value is now there well......

mimi

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.