Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to start my own personal chef gig in the next year, and to kick off the process I am going to enroll in a 6-week, non-credit course at the Restaraunt School in Philly. I have no formal culinary education, but I'm a passionate, accomplished home cook, not afraid of trying new techniques or recipes. I'm not sure if I should start out with Intro to Culinary Arts, or if I should just jump to the Intermediate level class. The agenda for the Intro class is as follows:
Knife Skills and Safety
Soups and Stocks
Ribbon Pasta
Grains and Potatoes
Vegetables
Intro to Sauces

I'm awaiting a response from the school as to which would be more appropriate for me, but in the meantime, what do you all think? I don't want to waste $300 on the Intro if I'm going to be bored...

Thanks,
Melissa

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses...I absolutely agree that the safe food handling and business classes are essential, and will be taking those as well. But while I could probably get by on my cooking abilities as they are, it can't hurt to brush up on my skills, and that's one of the reasons why I want to take a few culinary classes as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.