Chef Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts
Dehydrated dihydrogen oxide should be handled with the utmost care due to unforseen effects. It's been known to sustain life, a cancer upon our delicate planet.

Astrocruiser over and out...

You know I'm really not that dumb. I was making a joke. Everyone with half a brain knows that it's a 1:1 ratio! Jeez....:rolleyes:
Of course if you do a 1:2 ratio you get most rivers!

Chrose,

You should hold a summit meeting with Martha as I heard she makes water! :D

What are the three degrees of performance reviews, from worst to best?
  1. Can't pass water
  2. Makes water
  3. Walks on water[/list=1]

Uh, oh, we're getting a little gross. :rolleyes: :bounce:

I now know for sure that ALL of you guys are NUTS! :lol: My kinda people! :lol: :lol:

Maybe my pop should hang out with Martha! He's the only human I know who can actually BURN water! :eek:

One would have thought after reading this thread that there might be an end to it. alas I give you....http://www.cheftalkcafe.com/forums/s...&threadid=7253
She starts off sounding sincere but ends with this...I about dropped my rehydrated water:eek:
Lastly I ask you..if you live in France, of all places, should'nt the answers to the questions she asked be all around her?
Sheesh.....

Wouldn't it be useful to transfer this thread to the Culinary Students board? ;) Or as she probably only reads the bits that answers her questions, you might post on the chocolate water thread.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
I'm all for presenting a united front here. I will refuse from now on, to answer questions that appear to be short-cuts to homeword or tests!

1. These students will never be able to do their own research if the answers are handed to them on a silver platter.

2. They will not develop deductive reasoning as it pertains to cooking.

3. They will be getting credit for work they simply did not do.

Again, when pros or avid home cooks request assistance from their peers, it's different. The work you will be credited with is work you have done with your own hands. If we don't discourage this kind of cheating, it will never go away.

I know that I have been an "enabler" to some of those guys -- and I'll try not to, any more. And maybe there's an unhealthy dose of ego in answering the "Why did you become a chef?" questions that are clearly destined for a graded essay. (As if I were sooooooooo unique.) :blush: ;)

BUT: sometimes the technical questions really piqued my curiosity so I wanted to do some research and find the answer for my own edification.

Would it be okay if we were to suggest information sources where they could look? If the general concensus is: not unless they can demonstrate they've already looked -- I'll abide by that.

In any case, my guess is that we won't hear from those kids for another few months -- until close to the end of the next school term.

~HIYA~ Everyone!!

I think this thread has opened some intersting issues, and alot of thought has gone into the posts.

We have had the oppurtunity to express our thoughts and concerns about helping (or not) students.

Perhapes it's time to re focus ourselves back into the world of culinary arts and what it represents.

Everyone has a differnt take on there definition of helping others,and there is no clear cut rule defining this.

I say to all the proffessinals out there, to step back, re-access & get back into food.

Not that these things are not very important, because they are, but I guess i'm more interested in your challenges or what you prepared and how it was recieved by your guests

How do you see this summer developing it's trends, and how can we as "Chefs" best service the needs of our custermers and still make a buck or two:D

PEACE
Brad

Discussion starter · #33 ·
What we are discussing here happens to be extremely pertinent. Cheating by students requesting information that will be presented as their own research should be discouraged at all costs. This is as important in culinary school as it is in med school. It's simply wrong.

As for "steering" conversation, it's best to let nature do that. This happens to be a discussion people are enjoying - and seem to concur with. Every so often this board starts to feel like a disciplinarian parent who shows up to slap the hand of a child. We're mostly adults here. This is the "Late Night Cafe" where so called "non-food" discussion is supposed to take place. We don't need shooing away from the water cooler by a hall monitor.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Let me say I did not mean to offend Cape Chef. Over moderating alarms me and I have seen moderators driven to intervene on this board where it's really not necessary.

Any participant can make a decision as to whether or not to feed answers to a student - my personal opinion is that it's morally wrong and detrimental to the student. I sincerely hope some of the students who have been requesting answers read this thread and learn something from it..like the need to do their own work.

Ok,

I could ignore the questions posted on the board or answer them if I wanted. MY CHOICE!

PMs I can delete.....no matter how annoying that was.

But when people start EMAILING ME! I think that is taking it a little TOO FAR.

Am I the only one they are doing this too? I don't even know if my email addy is required to be on ChefTalk.

Arrrgggh! This just make me so darn mad! I don't like being harrassed. If I don't answer a question here they have no right to email me at home.

Jodi

Jodi,

When you are required to put in an email address on a form, you can always make one up.

I tried that once on another message board and they checked it out. I had to register with my real one....thought that was how ChefTalk operated too.

Jodi,

I got lots of PM's.

You can "block" your e-mail address. Just click on User CP on top and Edit Options. Then, click on the YES option of the following question: Hide Email Address?
Clicking yes hides your email address in your public profile, so that it is not accessible by other users.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.