Chef Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last one I did was 5-6 pounds at 325 for 2.5 hours and half hour covered

I have a 2.65 one and trying to figure out how long for close to medium

Found this chart (below) which differs from a number of 20 minutes per pound. Also many can't seem to agree on the same temp.

Same page. 450 for 10 minutes and drop down to 275 and cook to desired doneness

I'll be honest. I'm anal about cooking times. If I'm making different things. I want them all done at the same time

As I'm also going to make roast potatoes. I need to know whats best to make sure the roast is ready to cut when the potatoes are ready. Don't want to put it in too late and still not cooked when the potatoes are ready

So my timing - 325 for 2 hours (check with thermometer) and cover (chart below I'm guessing is the 275 temp and 2 - 2.5 hours)

Does my timing sound OK? I figured the 325 due to the extra close to half pound

Thanks

DON

· Registered
2,717 Posts
A big roast like that will need a long rest, but 20 minutes or 45 really shouldn't make much difference. I'd assume your roast will go 2:15, time the roasties from there, and serve when the potatoes are done. The specifics of the time and temp, or more accurately the worth of this chart, I'll leave to one of the many more knowledgeable folks here.

· Premium Member
2,380 Posts
A quick answer. The guide is probably fine but just a guide. Your experience/oven/altitude/roast may differ. A better test is temperature. When the internal temperature gets to 125, take it out and let it rest. You'll be pretty close to a perfect medium rare. Find a chart that shows the temp for rare, med rare, med well and well done. I can't remember those at the moment.

· Registered
2,717 Posts
@chefwriter I think the problem @paneraica has is that they want to know really, really close in order to time roasties, which in my experience take close to 90 minutes to be perfect, yet they rapidly degrade once cooked.

@paneraica Based on your chart, it looks like you want medium-rare, which in my opinion is definitely how to do this. You'll always have a bit of more well-done at the tips in case anyone demands that. @chefwriter correctly lists the target temperature at 125F for medium-rare, because the rest will take it close to 130F. If you want a different target, you need to allow a good 5F for the rest: it will keep cooking once you pull it.

I don't know if this is possible for you, in that I don't know your setup, but a warming drawer or a very, very low oven (like 150F) could help here. You plan for the roast to go on the low side, like 2 hours, then chuck it in the warming drawer to rest for an hour. Any time between about 30 minutes and probably 1.5 hours it will be pretty much perfect. So you could roast for 1 hour, chuck in the roasties (assuming 90 minutes), roast another hour, pull the roast, put it in the drawer, and when the roasties are done the roast will also be done. If your roasties tend to take a little less time, roast the meat for 1:15 and start the potatoes and continue from there.

The nice thing is that a biggish roast treated gently gives you quite a bit of latitude: shoved into a warming drawer or a very low oven, it'll take a heck of a lot to overcook it. My guess is that if you pull it at 120F and let it coast in a low oven, you'll hit your target 130F and no more unless you leave it there for hours and hours.

· Registered
3,455 Posts
Yes, timing charts are someone else's idea entirely.
A few weeks back I roasted 12 whole prime rib roasts. They went in at 4:30 in the afternoon at 400 degrees. At ten to 6
I turned off the ovens. By service time at 7:30 I had beautiful medium rare roasts to serve..

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually prefer medium which is why I figured that at 325 for two hours. Should be right. Chart says 2 - 2.5 for 2 pounds at 275 (based on the recipe on same page as chart).

Have a thermometer so can check. No warming oven

Thanks

· Registered
2,874 Posts
Maybe you could use a cooler box instead of a warming drawer.
Or just turn off the oven.
Do you need the same oven for your roast potatoes and your roast? If so, then you may have to pre-cook or boil your potatoes so they get done in the time the roast is resting

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe you could use a cooler box instead of a warming drawer.
Or just turn off the oven.
Do you need the same oven for your roast potatoes and your roast? If so, then you may have to pre-cook or boil your potatoes so they get done in the time the roast is resting
Taters roasted in the same pan. I'll try 325 for two hours and check with the thermometer. Have to do a test somehow and learn for the next time

Thanks

· Registered
2,874 Posts
Taters roasted in the same pan. I'll try 325 for two hours and check with the thermometer. Have to do a test somehow and learn for the next time

Thanks
Absolutely, try, eat, assess

One option, not explored yet, cook your roast, add potatoes, check
If it looks like potatoes need longer than the roast, take roast out, wrap, keep warm till potatoes are 1/2 of the way (arbitrary, maybe 1/3, maybe 2/3) then put roast back
It won't help you now for timing, but it's something to play with.
Personally, I would put the roast on a charcoal grill and potatoes (and onions) underneath as drip pan potatoes.

Anyway, show us what you decided on in the end and how it worked out

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Absolutely, try, eat, assess

One option, not explored yet, cook your roast, add potatoes, check
If it looks like potatoes need longer than the roast, take roast out, wrap, keep warm till potatoes are 1/2 of the way (arbitrary, maybe 1/3, maybe 2/3) then put roast back
It won't help you now for timing, but it's something to play with.
Personally, I would put the roast on a charcoal grill and potatoes (and onions) underneath as drip pan potatoes.

Anyway, show us what you decided on in the end and how it worked out
I find 1 hour works for the potatoes. The original timing is based off my mothers recipe, but that was for a two bone roast, but that wouldn't affect the timing for the potatoes

Thanks

DON

· Registered
4,802 Posts
For a bone in, room temp rib roast I like the 5/500 method. Preheat oven to 500F. Put seasoned roast in for 5 minutes per pound. A 2.5 pound roast take 12 and a half minutes. At that time, turn oven off, do not mess with it for 2 hours. No cheating, don't open the door, just leave it be. After 2 hour rest, enjoy a perfectly cooked mid rare roast.

mjb.

· Registered
2,874 Posts
I had to work this to metric, but my oven doesn't go that high (260 oC).
230 if I'm lucky (about 430 oF) :(
How would that affect the timing?

· Registered
4,802 Posts
Now I am going to have to get a standing 2 bone rib roast and do the 5/500 method. And use my recently acquired bluetooth temp probe to keep track of the internal temp at, say, 5 minute intervals over the entire roasting and resting time. Might be an interesting experiment.

mjb.

· Registered
4,603 Posts
The “5/500 method” actually works quite good, but with some caveats.

In the 1950’s it was promoted by Chambers, a US maker of higher-end residential ranges. The Chambers ovens were highly insulated and the process allowed starting a roast in the morning and eating a well-roasted yet stilll warm meal at supper time. Like a slow cooker in a manner of thought.

Chambers even had a cookbook titled “Cooking with the gas off” and a cardboard cheat sheet; I still have a copy of each… somewhere. The technique was very environmentally conscious approach for thrifty homeowners. Way ahead of their time.

Not having a Chambers range anymore I had to abandon the practice because my current oven doesn’t seem to be insulated at all, so the technique doesn’t hardly work in it.

· Registered
24 Posts
Now I am going to have to get a standing 2 bone rib roast and do the 5/500 method. And use my recently acquired bluetooth temp probe to keep track of the internal temp at, say, 5 minute intervals over the entire roasting and resting time. Might be an interesting experiment.

mjb.
Excel can be your friend . . . follow the rising line, adjust oven temp to hit mark&time . . .
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

· Registered
280 Posts
Last one I did was 5-6 pounds at 325 for 2.5 hours and half hour covered

I have a 2.65 one and trying to figure out how long for close to medium

Found this chart (below) which differs from a number of 20 minutes per pound. Also many can't seem to agree on the same temp.

Same page. 450 for 10 minutes and drop down to 275 and cook to desired doneness

I'll be honest. I'm anal about cooking times. If I'm making different things. I want them all done at the same time

As I'm also going to make roast potatoes. I need to know whats best to make sure the roast is ready to cut when the potatoes are ready. Don't want to put it in too late and still not cooked when the potatoes are ready

So my timing - 325 for 2 hours (check with thermometer) and cover (chart below I'm guessing is the 275 temp and 2 - 2.5 hours)

Does my timing sound OK? I figured the 325 due to the extra close to half pound

Thanks

DON
Go on line youtube and look up reverse sear.
Listen to me its a game changer.
And simple you do need an internal thermometer.
Please post a few pictures of it when you cut it open!
I hzve done chateaubriand with it amazing!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts