Chef Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
5,391 Posts
As French Fries said, you are going to run into a lot of problems with health regulations.  There is a reason that this hasn't been done already, and that is because it is illegal to sell such foods, prepared in a home environment.  Cottage industry laws have developed for food stuffs that aren't considered "hazardous" such as baked goods and certain high acid/high sugar canned items.  These foods are relatively safe, but fully prepared meals are a totally different thing.  They incorporate many foods that carry a much higher risk and as such must be produced in an inspected kitchen that meets all the guidelines, which a home kitchen just cannot.

On top of that, there is an insurance issue.  What if someone prepares food, that they sell to someone else, and that person gets a severe case of food poisoning?  The person who made the food would be on the hook for all medical expenses and probably some compensation for pain and suffering.

I hate being a downer, but I just don't see this business model as being viable.  Way too many laws and regulations standing in your way to make something that would be legal.

· Premium Member
5,391 Posts
Daniel, have you looked into any of the legal issues that I have mentioned?  Have you talked to a lawyer about what kind of liability issues your site would face if someone got sick?  Have you asked your old boss for your job back?

I'm sorry but the reality, here in the States if that is where you are located, is that what you are suggesting is illegal.  Basically you are asking home cooks to act as a restaurant that does delivery only.  As I stated in my earlier post, laws only allow for certain kinds of foods to be prepared in home kitchens, all other food (that are to be sold) must be produced in approved, inspected facilities.  Even if you could find a way to dodge the law in some places you would have to do some serious marketing to convince people that what you are suggesting is safe.  As you can see, by just the few people who answered your post, no one is willing to put their safety on the line for a meal.  It just isn't going to work.  Sorry.

· Premium Member
5,391 Posts
It can be a good idea but you will need to have an inspected and licensed kitchen with everyone doing all of their cooking from there, buying and keeping all of the ingredients there as well.

Do a google search for meal co-op.

There are a couple in Houston.

Keep in mind not everyone is a good cook.

You might have to do actual blind taste tests to decide the core cooking group.

mimi
Then, in essence, you are creating a restaurant that does delivery only. Sorry, but I don't see anything about this as being a "good idea." Not trying to be harsh, just honest and realistic.

· Premium Member
5,391 Posts
Flipflopgirl and Panini, both of your idea require an inspected kitchen (many churches that often make meals are now usually inspected).  What Daniel is suggesting is people doing this from their homes, not a co-op or incubator type thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.