Chef Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found what I think is a pretty cool recipe by Mark Hopper. Mushroom "Bouillabaisse"
Serves six,
1/2 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon chopped lemon grass
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 small red onion peeled and sliced
2 small leeks,trimmed,sliced and sauteed
1 plum tomato,peeled ,seeded and diced
1# Oyster mushrooms cleaned and trimmed
1 # brown clamshell mushrooms,cleaned and trimmed
1 # white clamshell mushrooms,cleaned and trimmed
1 # scallop mushrooms cleaned and caps removed
21/2 tablespoons chopped dill
S&P to taste
For the Cucumber broth
3 Tablespoons water
1 teaspoon saffron threads
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cucumbers,peeled seeded and juiced
S&P
for the fennel
1/4 cup olive oil
1 fennel bulb,trimmed and sliced
S&P
For the garnish
orange zest
fennel fronds
For the Bouillabaisse,Heat the oil add the garlic,crushed red pepper,lemon grass,fennel seeds,red onion and tomatoes,Saute 3 minutes add the shrooms and dill and saute about 5 minutes,season and set aside keeping warm.For the cucumber broth. bring the water to boil,lower the heat and maintain a simmer,add the saffron and cook 1 minute add the olive oil and cucumber juice,season and set aside keeping warm. for the fennel,saute in olive oil season and keep warm.to serve,spoon some bouillabaisse and cucumber broth into a bowl,place a slice of fennel next to the shrooms and garnish with orange zest and fennel fronds. Sounds pretty good Huh?
I would drink a Pinot Noir with this
cc

·
Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
Sounds great as an app or as a vegetarian entree'. How would you do it a la minute? I'm thinking that you could make the cucumber broth ahead of time, but it doesn't sound like it would do well keeping hot in the steamtable. The mushroom mixture I think would have to be done to order.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greg, I think if you have all the mis en place at your station for the broth, you can knock it out pretty quick. I would say that you can also par the shrooms and chill then finish to order
cc

·
Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
The only reason I'd want to do the mushrooms to order is I wouldn't want to chance losing any of the yummy juices that the mushrooms will release when cooked. As a matter of fact, I believe if that happened, I might cry right there on the line. I wouldn't want to try explaining that to the waitstaff; they just wouldn't understand!

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shroomgirl, The Mushrooms are availible through Indian rock produce 800-882-0512
I am not sure what family they are from so I don't want to give you incorrect info
cc

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shroomgirl

The brown and white clamshells are cultivated in Calif, "Nomiko's Farm"
The top of the mushroom is turned up instead of down and it looks like a ipswitch clam shell. They are a hybrid, and has a woody,earthy flavor and stands up well to cooking, I have not been able to find the scallop mushroom anywhere but I haven't giving up yet. I also want to know the hybrids
cc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.