Chef Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Cracker Barrel has, by far, the best pancakes. I have tried to replicate their recipe and preparation, with limited successs. To summarize, the pancakes are a bit crunchy around the edges with a characteristic dark 'band' around the perimeter.They are extremely light in consistency, almost crepe-like.
Thus far, I have concluded they use margerine as the cooking medium rather than merely using pan spray. I have come close to the 'light-ness' by barely mixing the batter. However, I can't, yet, replicate the taste. I use 1 1/2 cups of flour, 2 T sugar, 1t baking soda, 1 egg and 1 cup of milk.
Any help from anybody that has ever worked or visited there? Thanks!

· Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. The only info I could muster out of the waitress was that they don't use lard or bacon drippings, only a vegetable-based shortening (a/k/a margerine). So, I will continue my quest to 'break the pancake code'. Wish me luck...

· Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Calico,
Thanks for the lead. I will start playing and let you know if I find "the one."
-J

· Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It is funny that this thread has come back to life after so many years. Fun when that happens, actually. So, I have been using the following recipe for quite a while now.... with some great results. I modified the recipe from the Jamison's book, A Real American Breakfast.

3 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup cornmeal

2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

2 oz melted butter

2 large eggs, separated

1 Quart buttermilk

Stir the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl,add the melted butter and stir. Set aside. Beat the egg whites to soft peaks and set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolk with the buttermilk. When ready, pour it in with the dry ingredients and butter mixture and combine well (but do not to over mix). Fold the egg white into the batter. Ladle into a butter-coated cast-iron pan. The pancakes should sizzle gently. Flip when the edges begin to become dull and air bubbles appear to stop popping.

· Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I hear ya' with the egg white-whipping.... but it does make a textural difference. Also, you can absolutely cut the recipe in half; I use the doubled version so I can make and freeze. Good luck and enjoy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.