Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5,776 Posts
I would start by trying a simple mushroom cream sauce: sauté button mushrooms, add minced garlic and continue sautéeing for 1mn, add the cream, reduce to desired thickness. 

1. You can control the thickness by monitoring it while you reduce the sauce. 

2. My guess is that picture was doctored. Mushroom sauces tend to look a little gray-er than this nice yellow. 

3. You can get both creaminess and sweetness from heavy whipping cream. I wouldn't use onions here. 

4. Finish the sauce with a few drops of lemon juice. Always works for cream-based sauces. You can also consider adding a spoon of dijon mustard, especially if the sauce is for pork, but that also works for chicken. 

5. You'll get more mushroom flavor if you thoroughly caramelize the mushrooms first. You could add a little bit of dried Porcini powder (I use a mortar and pestle to grind dried mushrooms, then sieve it to keep only the finest powder). 

6. Finish the sauce with butter (monter au beurre). It will give it gloss and that fresh buttery flavor (almost like the flavor of cold butter). 

· Registered
5,776 Posts
Quote:
I'm assuming that FF uses salt but didn't mention it because it is a given. :)
Yes, I guess there are a few "obviouses" that I didn't mention. Like salt and pepper. Finishing with fresh herbs like parsley, chervil or tarragon, or infusing with woodsy herbs like rosemary or thyme. HA.... as I finished typing that I re-read your posts and see you mentioned the same thing. Nothing revolutionary here. Also white wine can help sweetening a sauce. Cognac can make it fancy.

And you'll need a fresh loaf of very good quality bread to mop all that wonderful sauce.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.