Chef Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,047 Posts
Hi, Jeffery,

Everything Greg said, plus list your assets - are you prompt - neat - 'works and plays well with others' - ?

I bogarted my way into my first restaurant job (at age 49!), by just saying I'd work for low wage, do prep,etc., just for the learning curve. The only 'experience' I had was my lifetime romance with cooking, and a two year stent as an assistant at cooking classes which featured very high end chef/instructors. He actually hired me on as pantry for the day shift!

My attitude was, go in with your head high - if they say no, you're no worse off than if you hadn't tried at all. Be proud of who you are, and what you're trying to accomplish, and be honest about what you don't know.

Just a thought, also - some chefs will let you 'trail' - no pay, but you're in the kitchen, learning from the chef, watching how the kitchen is run, and eventually someone is going to put a knife in your hand!

Good luck - living in Las Vegas, you shouldn't have any trouble at least finding restaurants to check out!

PS - What martial art do you study? I have a 4th degree black belt in Aikido, studied for about 15 years.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.