Chef Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
How about 'curry'? I think originally derived from an Indian word 'Kari', or Kaari (depending on the dialect); the word originally meant the blend of spices used for a particular dish; the common meaning now is a dish or a commercial blend of spices. The Indian kitchen has no bottle of 'curry powder' in it - they use a particular blend of spices for each dish.

Also, 'teriyaki' - in Japanese cooking, refers to a glaze made of soy sauce, garlic, ginger, maybe a little sake, a little sugar, which is brushed on food toward the end of the cooking time; now more commonly refers to a dish; i.e., 'salmon teriyaki', etc. And usually the food is marinated in the 'teriyaki sauce' before cooking.

I love this! I also love tracing a food from its country of origin through different countries, and seeing the changes it undergoes as it is adopted by a particular native cuisine! For example, curry, as above, originated in India, traveled up through the Far East until it reached Japan, where they adopted and adapted it to their own style? Or that fried food and pork was not known in Japan until the Portuguese came to Japan? So tempura and tonkatsu are fairly new dishes.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.