Chef Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for those culinary professionals out there. I'm planning to attend the CIA in October and in the mean time I want to work in a restaurant and save of some money (student loans are going to be so much fun to pay off). I've been looking in the Metro Atlanta area and I am greatly interested to work in one of the semi-nice non-chain restaurants in the area. My question is this. How should I approach the job search? Should I tell prospective employers my real motivation for searching for a job (to learn more while earning some extra money)? Am I setting myself up for failure by only looking for jobs in a non-chain environment? Any advice or musings would be greatly appreciated.

Matthew

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<<Just don't expect to be paid lots, or even to see the line. Chances are you will be hired on as a prep cook.>>

Yup, I'm not expecting the world. Even if I'm just doing prep and then making 100 salads a night it will be good experience (at the least I'll be able to work on my knife skills).

<<Would you be looking in the city or in the suburbs?>>

Either, I live in the Woodstock area but I don't mind a commute. My dream position would be working at the Atlanta Fish Market (which is about a 30 minute commute) because I'd be able to see new ingredients all the time as well as work at a place connected to one of the best fish markets in Atlanta.

Matthew

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<<PS: am I right in guessing that you're the same Matthew who asked this question on OTR? Both that site and this are great for you to keep up with!>>

Yeah, figured I would post on both boards to get the most feedback.

<<The only problem might be that you're planning on being there just a short time; but then again, if you make a good impression, they might want you to come back when you can.>>

Yup, that is the biggest drawback. To be honest I'm willing to push back my entry date in school if that is what it would take to get my foot in the door at some of the restaurants in Atlanta.

Matthew

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<<Er, what's an OTR?>>

On The Rails, another Cook oriented website where I made a post.

<<I would try smaller places, where the chef is capable of giving you more hands on training.>>

Any suggestions? I'm always up for input.

Matthew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.