Chef Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Dunno.
The term is used in carpentry and in that context it is a way to join two pieces of wood. You cut a series of "dovetails" in the wood which are kind of like a truncated "V".
The term is also used to describe any two things that fit closely together, either literally or figuratively.
I can only imagine that in this cookware, there is some process in the manufacturing where two pieces (handle and pot perhaps?) are dovetailed together.

Jock

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Dovetailed is a way of bringing the copper together at it's open joints. Certian copper cookware, Mostly older ccokware had some dovetailed finishes applied to them. This makes for a very well made piece of cook ware. Dehillerin is one of the finist you can buy. You will pay a heafty price for them,but you will never replace them.
The dovetail effect looks almost like tounge and groove.
cc

·
Registered
274 Posts
Cape chef,
I kiss your hand as a mark of respect to your knowledge. your spelling may be as bad as as mine, but your knowledge is far, far greater:smiles:
P.S. there's no smiley of anyone bowing and I'm not computer literate enough to know where to find one!!;)

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi to all:

I saw the term applied to a Dehillerin item that was for sale on ebay. I know its definition and application in the field of woodworking but not in metallurgy as in fusing copper to some other metal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.