Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Founder
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I would really be interested in hearing from other chefs on how they prepare their demi glace. If you are like me you have probably worked in a ton of kitchens, and have seen a hundred different ways of making a great demi. Currently I use a preparation that takes about three days, but the end result is excellent.
  1. Roast bones.
    After into the stock pot and cover with cold water. I let this come to a simmer and it goes for most of the day.
  2. The second day I roast my mirepoix with tomato product very slowly in the oven. This then goes into the simmering stock. I also add a healthy amount of red wine.
  3. Finally after the stock has been cooking for about two days I strain it and then reduce. [/list=a]
    Pretty long process but the end result is excellent (and expensive).

Any thoughts?

------------------
    Thanks,

Nicko
    [email protected]

·
Founder
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It really is an amazing process to get to that liquid. Has anyone used pre-fabricated demi? I have tried to brands that were given to me. One was extremely salty and it was about $300.00 for a small tub of it. It came in a condensed form so you had to dilute it heavily. Strangely enough it tasted as though it was too over carmelized, and it actually had a subtle burnt flavor. The other brand is Natural Classics demi glace. It is made by a local Chicago Chef and it is all natural and contains no preservatives! Awhile back at the Plitt Seafood show I tried some and it was excellent. You can check out his website at: www.demiglace.com

------------------
Thanks,

Nicko
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Nicko (edited September 27, 2000).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.