Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Hey Dhokla! I'm really interested in learning how to cook desi food, I'm quite an inexperienced cook at the moment, but I'll be living in India for a few months starting in July with a friend and I really want to learn how to cook some of the food there. I'll be living in Hyderabad, mostly in the old city area, so I'll be learning how to cook some Muslim Indian food as well as some Telgu dishes and some south Indian ones as well (Hopefully). Do you have much experience with desi food or cooking in India in general?

· Registered
5 Posts
Oh I'm really excited for the spice! During my winter break I went to Hyderabad for a month and a half for the first time and it was incredible, I really do enjoy Hyderabad. Hyderabadi Briyani is easily my favorite food, back in the United States my friends mother would cook it for us all the time and every time I was surprised by just how much flavor was in it! Most of the rice I would eat at home would be Mexican or east Asian style rice and the flavor of the Briyani blew them away. I've been living in Bhutan as a student this past year and all of there food had red chili in it, my year in Asia has been full of so much incredibly spicy food I don't think I could go back to all the sweetness at home. 

Thanks for the detailed look at cooking briyani! I find the idea of using chapatti dough as a way to contain the steam so fascinating, it truly feels like cooking briyani is an art that's been mastered for centuries.  

My favorite food memory of Hyderabad was going to this nice mandi place before my friends cousins wedding reception, I love the style of eating, everything being on a big plate and all. Its such good conversation food. The second closest would probably be riding to an incredible dosa stand that opens up at 4 in the morning, incredible journey for some tasty breakfast. Because I was will my friend in the old city most of the time, I mostly ate Indian food with Persian influence, this time I'd like to get around to trying more of the authentic vegetarian food so I'm making it my goal to try everything you presented in that list. Shouldn't be too hard right? 

I've been watching lots of YouTube cooking lately so I'll make sure to subscribe to those channels so I can get a better look at the incites of Indian cooking. I think the most intimidating thing is all the spices used in the dishes. I'm definitely no expert on cooking and I can see that balancing the spices can take a lot to master! 

Thanks a ton for all the great information Dhokla. I didn't think my excitement for going back to Hyderabad could get any higher but you definitely mad it so. 

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.