Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I ditto Cape chef. But I'm not sure I follow....yes reheat to sterilize your mincemeat but then wouldn't she have to can it correctly?

I've done some canning in the past and from what I know you need to follow all the procedures correctly to have a product that holds over time. After you heat your mincemeat up and put them into your hot jars (although you can pack some items cold) you still have to boil them underwater for the needed length of time required for the type of product you have.

Is there an exception for mincemeat?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Well since you don't actually have meat in your mincemeat it probably will be fine in the refridgerator. But I certainly would store it there, also if your baking it into something later that helps sterlize it again....don't under cook it. Did you lids **** in and create a hard presurized seal?

This is what I understand about canning and how I've done it also...First you have to have the right temp.s on your product, your jars and lids but the most important thing is the time it's boiled underwater. I kind of don't think using the oven works at all, it's doesn't create pressure on the lids.

It's confusing because you can can somethings hot or cold and other items only can be done when their hot. I think this all has to do with the acidity of the items. Then when you can items like mincemeat which aren't acid their rarely listed in canning books for timing.

I made salsa from my garden goodies and couldn't find any guidelines for canning it anywhere (but I figured it out and it worked). I have a couple of canning cookbooks but they really don't say more than the free pamplet that comes with the ball jars. Find something similar to mincemeat and cook it the same time plus a couple more minutes. Over cooking won't hurt it, usually.

I don't have a fancy set-up either....it really can be fun if you have the time. Yes if your not in great health and rushing around it can be frustrating.... A cheap old pot with a metal grid under it does the job. I found a great pot cheaply in a Mexican grocery store that fits more jars then the expensive pots designed for canning. ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.