Chef Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me! i want to go to china town with my honey for his b-day, what is the best place? greasy spoons are fine and white table cloth is fine too.
thanks for the input. momoreg i know you have some great sites, suzanne, foodnfoto, capechef, too.

:bounce:

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Well, of course, my dear! My current faves:

For excellent, fresh, inexpensive (well, all right, CHEAP) food, no atmosphere whatsover: Great NY Noodletown, 28 1/2 Bowery at Bayard. Right now they have "Salt Baked" softshell crabs -- actually fried in a tempura batter -- unusually expensive for them at $14 for 2 huge crabs. Shredded Duck with Peashoots was also at the high end, at $12.95, but they were our first peashoots of the spring, yum! The casseroles are very interesting and delicious. The soups and noodle dishes are ridiculously cheap, enough for 2, perfectly cooked, and delish, with crisp vegs and good meats. And you can buy a whole roast duck to take home for $13, or a slab of roast baby pig, or ... We ate there at midnight on New Year's Eve (ours, not Chinese) and it was a hoot!

Fancier, more expensive, but excellent food: The Nice Restaurant, 35 East Broadway between Catherine and Market. We had great dim sum there a couple of months ago. If they have Fried Milk with Crab on the menu, get it!!!!!

Also fancy, expensive-ish, very good: Golden Unicorn, on the corner of East Broadway and Catherine. Haven't been there in a while, though.

Moderate, not fancy, not plain, some very special dishes: Tai Hong Lau, 70 Mott Street between Bayard and Canal. They do a Peking duck with thicker, spongier doilies.

Dim Sum Go-Go, 5 East Broadway between Catherine and Oliver (right on Chatham Square). The owner is French (Collette Rossant), the chef came from Hong Kong, the look is very modern, the dumplings are works of art (you'd especially love how they look, MBrown!), and some truly delicious food. Just watch out: the Roast Chicken with Garlic Shoots is actually fried, but SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!

If Grand Sichuan (125 Canal at Bowery) is related to the one up on 9th Ave and 50th St), which I think it is, it has a selection of really unusually-named, quite delicious regional dishes.

Finally, not Chinese, but Vietnamese: Vietnam Restaurant, at 11 Doyers Street (underground -- it's like descending into the rabbit hole). Not much atmosphere, but what food! The Duck with Taro is skinless, boneless, fatless pieces of duck coated with a taro puree, also deep fried, and YUMMY. Seaweed salad is similar to, but different from, the stuff you get in Japanese restaurants. Inexpensive.

Hope these give you some ideas! :lips:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry, I hate Big Wong...I had a bad experience and never wanna go there again. I ordered beef with broccoli and I found those little white worms on my broccoli...lost my appetite after that :mad: Anyhow, there's a place near Big Wong that's pretty good....it's called Wonton Garden, I think. And if you want those pearl tea drink, go to Sweet n Tart, also on Mott St.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
wow, Big Wong (what a name) was GREAT!!! super congee with 1000year old eggs and pork with crullers of course, the ribs were really good, the veg with black bean were good.....I'd go back in a heartbeat. Have a wonderful celebration.....Italian broccoli I presume.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I am so hungry now:lips:

Guys, we all have to get together and do an Asian excursion :)

M Brown, if you and hubby can't find a spot in the big apple, hop on metro north to my neck of the woods.

I make some pretty mean dim sum, just ask my wife, she's still talking about my gefilfish spring rolls with harroseh aioli:D

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Cape -- When you say "spring rolls" do you mean the fried kind? If so, what do you use instead of the flour-based wrappers? Or do you just become Sephardic and use rice paper?

Personally, I prefer the more traditional horseradish gelee, myself (with serious beets, of course).

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
You guys are hilarious! CC, your dim sum are definitely an acquired taste... haroset aioli.. :eek: Suzanne, the rice paper was a stroke of brilliance.

Except for the little white things mentioned by Chloe, sounds like you're in for a great meal Michelle!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
walking noodle tour of china town!!!!
along with the walking bar tour of spring street!
thank you guys x1000000!
gefilte fish spring rolls,mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.:lips:

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Good!!! just get on a plane, come here, and EAT!!!!!!!!!!

Chinatown has still not recovered from 9/11, although much of the rest of Lower Manhattan has. Because a lot of people still think that we are all still in a state of siege. We're not, and getting in and around is about 99% back to normal. Chinatown was not affected as much as my neighborhood and where some of my friends live by the horror of 9/11. But they are suffering much more now. Please, if there's any way you can get here and support the restaurants in Chinatown, do.:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.