Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things that I have noticed about this forum is the way in which wine is divided by grape variety rather than geographical region. Being rather an ignoramus on the subject, I would like to ask those of you trained, do you not find that wine can just as easily divide itself, interms of taste, geographically rather than varietarilly? (yes i just made the last word up!)
For example: I spent my formative adult years in Spain, where they only sell Spanish wine. World widewine is available either in international stores in very small quantities or among the very top quality wines which were well outwith my reach economicaly. So I drank Spanish wine (not a very great sacrifice , i have to say)
Having now lived in Scotland for 18 months and with friends who are passionate about Australian wine I found myself differentiating the taste of wines more on the basis of geography. A Spanish Merlot, to my untrained palate (I have never studied or often read about this - just drank), has more in common with a Cabernet Sauvignon of a similar price range and area of Spain than a much cheaper/more expensive merlot from Australia. I also find that I can taste the difference between an Italian red and a Spanish red. Many of my Italian friends in Spain complained that Spanish red was so thick as to be like soup, while Spaniards complained that Italian red was like water. I notice myself when I drink, what to my mind, is an outstanding red wine, it is always Spanish or Portuguese - even if i am unaware as to the nationality of the wine beforehand. This is, i am convinced, due to my formative 'drinking years' in Spain rather than any objective reasoning.
Can anyone else enlighten me on the subject?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes that is what I'm asking. Do you, in your experience feel, that the provenance of a wine can have an even bigger influence on the taste than the variety of grape?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much CC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.