Chef Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Fellow Chefs,

I am 30 years old and having 1.5 years of experience as Kitchen assistant.I joined Kitchen when I was 25 and Due to some wrong Decisions, I ruined my last 5 years. (2 years of Pandemic included).
At the beginning days when I should choose mentor and learning skills but I choosed money and the name of the brand and took wrong decision. I earned money and having sound Brand in my resume but Not having basics skills which a fast paced kitchen required.

Now I want to correct my mistakes and want to take fresh starts but my applications are getting rejacted and says I am too old for Assistant profile.

Does ageism really exist in Kitchen Industry.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
Yes it does.
At 30 you expect regular working hours and a liveable wage--- something that can be achieved IF you have 10-15 years of solid cooking experience.

It's very hard for a 30-something to work for $17-20/ hr, not impossible, but very hard. And ,99.99 percent of the employers are conscious of this fact and therefore are reluctant to hire a 30 yr old with under 7-10 yrs cooking experience .

Then again, since covid there is an absolute vacuum in hospitality employment and employers will take on anyone who shows up--- which usually lasts a month or so.....

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Yes it does.
At 30 you expect regular working hours and a liveable wage--- something that can be achieved IF you have 10-15 years of solid cooking experience.

It's very hard for a 30-something to work for $17-20/ hr, not impossible, but very hard. And ,99.99 percent of the employers are conscious of this fact and therefore are reluctant to hire a 30 yr old with under 7-10 yrs cooking experience .

Then again, since covid there is an absolute vacuum in hospitality employment and employers will take on anyone who shows up--- which usually lasts a month or so.....

The restaurant next door here is a revolving door of employees.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Dear Fellow Chefs,

I am 30 years old and having 1.5 years of experience as Kitchen assistant.I joined Kitchen when I was 25 and Due to some wrong Decisions, I ruined my last 5 years. (2 years of Pandemic included).
At the beginning days when I should choose mentor and learning skills but I choosed money and the name of the brand and took wrong decision. I earned money and having sound Brand in my resume but Not having basics skills which a fast paced kitchen required.

Now I want to correct my mistakes and want to take fresh starts but my applications are getting rejacted and says I am too old for Assistant profile.

You can acquire many basic skills on your own...ask questions and WATCH. Use your head about how to go about doing things. Use the equipment (that's why they bought it)

A dry heat cooking method is a dry heat cooking method....meaning there's more than one way to skin a cat but don't expect to serve a cat on a plate.

Career path choices have a cost you didn't know that you would have to pay...so now you do. Nothing left to do but to pay the price.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Dear Fellow Chefs,

"and says I am too old for Assistant profile. "

if you can prove it, if its in writing, you can prosecute them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts