Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love wine, I've been drinking it since I was 3. It's a cultural thing: as kids, we always had a tiny amount with our meal, like in many European families. (Never had the urge to get smashed later in life either!!) Despite my early exposure I feel that I know virtually nothing about this vast and wonderful world of wine.

Specifically, I would like to know, how does one know if one should open a bottle or keep it for a few years?

I received a bottle of Trapiche Cab, 1997(Argentinian wine). Anyone heard of it? I'm kind of eager to try it; should I save it?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for being so thorough, that help me a lot. You are right, this one is from the Mendoza too, 1997. I stopped by the store today to see how they classified it. It was inexpensive and displayed in the 'vintages' section. I think I'll crack it open tomorrow and drink to cupid's health.

When I was in France in 1996 I lugged home some Nuit St-George and have been aging it in my closet (sadly the closest to ideal conditions in my appartment). Does that qualify as a 'grand vin'? I think they are 1989. Probably time to drink those too. You should join me! :)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are right. I often worry about that. Some of my bottles have been put through ****: not only do I not have cellar conditions but I have moved around a lot too. Someone told me once that as long as I give my bottles a bit of a resting period after commotion of any kind, they should be ok. (Unless they were really traumatized!) ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.