Chef Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to make duck over the weekend, was quite a bit of work. I butchered the duck my self, took off wings legs and breast. That step went OK. Then I made a stock from the bones that came out ok. I sautéd the breast and finished in the oven. That came out decent where I blew it was I tried to braise the duck legs.
Not happy with the results I felt the legs were dry. The recipe I followed called for lemon juice and zest.
I felt that once it cooked in the oven. The citrus taste was overpowering. Question is when you braise duck legs do you do it like beef let it cook too it falls off the bone. Or do you go by internal temp? Do you have any good recipes that use the entire duck? I am trying to become proficient at something new. Only the second duck I cooked.:geek: There is a learning curve.

· Registered
2,717 Posts
I think braising duck legs should be done super slow and by temperature, or they're bound to be stringy and dry. As for the citrus, I would put just a hint of zest in the braise and then increase it for the sauce, as in canard a l'orange.

Last, I find cooking whole ducks a fool's errand: break them up!

· Registered
24 Posts
I did a Thomas Keller (cooking dude of fame....) recipe for a lemon chicken dish. total inedible disaster, and I didn't use his full qty recommendation of lemons for that poor single chicken....

brazing is a long time, low temp method.
for some odd ball reason(s) recipes like to use a lot of lemon/lime/acid/citrus/whatever. it can be far too much.
duck has a flavor that easily stands on its own. too much of anything in the stupid quest to be different rarely works.

· Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think braising duck legs should be done super slow and by temperature, or they're bound to be stringy and dry. As for the citrus, I would put just a hint of zest in the braise and then increase it for the sauce, as in canard a l'orange.

Last, I find cooking whole ducks a fool's errand: break them up!
I do break them up. You mean 300 FH oven and take it to an internal temp of 165?

· Registered
273 Posts
I like a duck cassoulet. And yes the duck meat comes right off the bones. A very hearty dish with beans as a chief ingredient. The more you stir and make that top crust "crusty" the better.

And duck legs are perfect for this. A little sausage added doesn't hurt either.

· Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like a duck cassoulet. And yes the duck meat comes right off the bones. A very hearty dish with beans as a chief ingredient. The more you stir and make that top crust "crusty" the better.

And duck legs are perfect for this. A little sausage added doesn't hurt either.
I have been looking at other recipes, for braised duck legs. The say an hour and a half to two hours that sounds right to you ?

· Registered
346 Posts
split the duck remove spine and roast on a rack in a pan until the leg bone can be twisted in its socket, drain all the fat away. Let the duck go cold, rip the rib bones out, chill ,
when ready to eat...roast again at 350 for 20 mins and serve with whatever sauce you like.
I'm partial to orange, served with dauphine potato puffs about the size of tennis balls.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts