Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I live just south of the Mushroom Capital of the World (Kennett Square, Pennsylvania). As such, there are some notable 'shroom farms that have some rather well written sites & recipes. Check out:
http://www.phillipsmushroomfarms.com/recipes.html
Portabello: 40 Easy Recipes
The Mushroom Lovers' Cookbook
Also, The Mushroom Council has more than you would ever want to know about mushrooms, as well as an extensive archive of mushroom recipes.
Personally, I like a portabello tossed with super-fresh pesto and dropped on the grill until it just becomes tender. Cut it like a steak!
Also, my kids even eat portabellos if you stem them, flip 'em over and dollop some pizza sauce and fresh mozzarella on top. Broil for 6-8 minutes and eat like a pizza.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
First of all no more --->>:bounce: ...6 months is too early, indeed!!
Secondly, alot of people liken their flavor to steak. Well, um, no not really. Perhaps if they are grilled. They do have a an 'earthy' flavor that reminds me of the woods in the early fall. Nice imagery, huh? They are hearty, robust, 'big' and 'oaky'... sounds like a Bordeuax rather than a mushroom. That's the best I can do.
As for the 'gills', they can be left on or removed, depending on the preparation. When I make a stuffing out of the portabellos, I remove the skirt as it tends to make the stuffing watery. If you are roasting, etc... leave them intact. They don't hurt.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.