Chef Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,709 Posts
I don't think it's about ingredient count, though certainly there are many good simple recipes.

The arbitrary limiting of ingredients can be a useful exercise but to me would not make a good guiding principle as my favorite cuisines tend to have longer seasoning lists.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
What’s on hand is a good way to start. I do that a lot! Sometimes I just get a craving and that determines the shopping list and t menu.

“Balanced recipe “ is too broad of a question, perhaps. For me the ultimate test of balance is if a recipe tastes good and pleases my fellow diners.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I always try to incorporate as many of the 5 basic tastes as make sense for the dish, to increase the interplay and complexity while remaining simple. Too much of one aspect and you wind up with a one note dish. Too much period and you wind up with racket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my opinion, a perfect recipe does not need a long list of ingredients. You can make a good dish with 3 - 4 ingredients as well, it all depends on the amount of each ingredient you used in a recipe. Which can make it the best or the worst of them all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts