Chef Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For headaches, colds and often even the flu, my cure food is Hot and Sour Soup.

I don't know if it's the endorphin rush, or the chicken soup side of the dish, but it sure makes me feel better.

Phil

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Hot spicy foods to loosen phlegm.

Loose echinacea tea with 2 thin slices of lemon as a natural anitbiotic.

Decoction of loose WILD CHERRY BARK for respiratory ailments.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Need to go potty?
* Lettuce
* Spinach
* Bran
* Escarole

Need to stop going potty?
* Bananas
* Rice
* Nuts
* Apples
* Chocolate

Cold? Flu?
* Chicken Soup
* Hot lemonade

Simply feel like crap and need a "culinary blankie" wrapped around you?
* Oatmeal

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Definitely chicken soup for me, in one form or another, depending on what's ailing me:

Another vote for hot and sour soup!
Egg drop soup
Matzo ball soup with lots of leek, parsley, celery and dill
Yogurt with honey (Greek style)
Lemon water

These last two got me past a bad bout of food poisoning from some nasty souvlaki in Thessaloniki... Oy, vey! :eek:

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Ginger Tea for digestion

Loads of garlic and onions for flu/respiratory....at that point I cut out all sugar and dairy

I had an Indian neighbor that ate raw onions and hot peppers to sweat out a cold.....never went that far.

*After years of respiratory and allergy junk in Louisiana with the rounds of antibiotics that never seemed to end. I started being really proactive (no sharing glasses, no communal sharing of food, big hand washing campaign, wearing appropriate clothing in cold weather......)For 6 years we did not need antibiotics for illness in our St. Louis home...with 3 elementary/middleschool children our pediatrician was flabbergasted.

·
Registered
489 Posts
For foods to help combat arthritis see Miriam E. Nelson et al, Strong Women & Men Beat Arthritis (Putnam, 2002). A combination of strengthening exercises and diet advice on ways to stave off and/or lessen arthritis. Her book is based on the findings of the Tufts study. Goes into specific vitamins, foods they are found in, and exercises that are beneficial, gives sample menus, reviews complementary therapies.

Nelson, a prof. at Tufts & Director of the Friedman...Nutrition Science & Policy Schl at Tufts also has a book (which I haven't seen) on more elaborated menus for sensible weight loss that includes a bunch of recipes by Steven Raichlen. It is Strong Women Stay Slim, written with Sarah Wernick. Has plans for 1200, 1600, & 2000 calories.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I had a cold, my father would always make a honey, lemon, whiskey drink, that always soothed my throat and stopped the cough. Of course the whiskey put me straight to sleep, when I was little.

:bounce:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Chicken Soup is number one with me for a cold and general crappiness. But Miso Soup works pretty well too.

I know it will sound weird--and maybe a touch repulsive to some--but whenever I was just getting over the flu and ready to try keeping down some solid food, my mother would make me a bowl of elbow macaroni with cottage cheese stirred into it. Bland and comforting; what more could you ask for?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I don't think anyone here will know what this is but here goes. :D

Circe Bush Tea for Flu and Colds (asian markets have this but I don't know the scientific name)

A few others

Aloe Vera (the clear sap after you peel the leaves) for Constipation :D
Ginger Tea for Upset Stomaches

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Geez Chiff :eek: ! I'm gonna have to switch things around. I eat everything on the second and hardly anything on the first! :eek: :lol: :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
When I am sick, I always crave salad. I think that might mean I am missing out on vitamins?

For colds: orange juice, oranges, and orange sherbet.
Lemon zinger tea with a ton of honey
Chinese food! (hot and spicy)

For stomach: Ginger tea and Saltines (ew, but not at the same time)

From my Mother, the smell and taste of 7UP is so associated with being sick I cannot stand to have it except for when I don't feel well. =)

My husband always wants icecream when he's sick..... crazy.

~~Shimmer~~

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Chocolate for everything. For upset stomach: chocolate covered ginger. ;)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Ill go with the hot and sour soup , as well as the menudo . Even if I am not sick these are good foods for the soul . oh yeah , chicken noodle is right up there also .
Doug .......................

·
Registered
84 Posts
hey Phoebe,

me too, Creamettes and cottage cheese- from my mom- to this day i crave it when i'm sick-

chicken soup and tea of course- although i wont drink either of them when i'm well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.