Chef Forum banner

Favorite Pinot

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  tetsuryu 
#1 ·
Boy, I have just found the wonderful world of Pinots.

I'm lucky enough to work for a wine distributor and able to sample many different wines at reasonable prices.

So far, Domaine Drouhin '97 Laurene has captured my heart.

It's the end of the vintage and we thought our inventory was gone. BUT the last inventory turned up two precious magnums! Quickly snagged by yours truley for our wedding anniversary next month.

At the Monterey Wine Festival, there were pretty slim pickins. The only one I cared for was a Bernardus.

#2 ·
I guess La Tache is not in my budget :)

I love Pinot Noirs, sexy, supple fruit...

soft toasty oak and spice.

Honey pot,

I see you live in wine country :)

I agree with you that Berardus is one of the top tier Pinots produced today, What do you think of Gary farell or Calera?

I'm also a Drouhin fan, But man...I think I could grab a Cote de nuits at his prices!! (ok maybe not :))

I'm big on the Russion river Pinots.

My Favs would have to be Rochioli, dehlinger and Wiliiam Seylem.
:lips:

#4 ·
CC, you're thinking of Joseph Drouhin from France. Domaine Drouhin is his daughter - her vineyard is in Oregon. Still, not cheap.

I've not heard of the others you mention. I'll have to keep an eye out. Although I really do have a problem paying retail anymore! ;)

fodigger,
I love Wild Horse! Had it for the first time last month while in SLO for a bike ride.

I'm a huge Central Coast fan. Love the Zins from that region!

We'll be down there again this month and I can't wait to explore more wineries!

Love EOS, Chumeia (sp?), Dover Canyon, Dark Star...Ooooo, my mouth is watering!! :D

#5 ·
Dear Honey pot,

I am quite aware that Joseph Drouhin is in France :)

He in fact put together his daughters winery in Oregon to much fan fair.

look for Rochioli in particular if you want to try some of the wines I mentioned.

Byron, Like Fodigger said is always tasty and very very food friendly

#8 ·
I used to be a big fan of Eyrie's Pinot, but Im not sure that they are even around anymore. CC, Im with you on the La Tache, though I have yet to have a taste of that Holy Grail of wines.

#11 ·
"A bottle of wine under twenty bucks with any kind of a finish is a deal"- my friend Baird.
With that said he opened a bottle of Miramar Torres Pinot Noir.
When I drink a fine pinot I think about the "Baccanal Scene" in the original "Fantasia"- delicious, grapey. Man I COULD drink this stuff all night.....
BTW has anyone had Cristom?

#12 ·
Peachcreek, man..this stuff doesn't make out to Conn, i'm just about ready to walk across the whole country to the Willamette valley to get my paws on the 99 reserve.

If ya ever come across any out your way, and want to part with a bottle (or two) let me know!:D

#13 ·
I saw this thread and just had to throw in my 2 bits......

I tried a Domaine Chandon Pinot Noir the other day and was darn near knocked out of my shoes, it was more like a Pommard than anything I would have expected from California. Definitely a bit more robust than I like my Pinots, but certainly not one to be ignored. IMHO a great inexpensive Pinot (thats $15 or less for me) is Benton Lane Pinot Noir from Oregon.

Tetsu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.