Chef Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I like to bake, I don't do it too often. In the past it was just too hot in the house in Florida to start with but now I have much better digs and a double oven so I enjoy bouncing around trying different things out. I have previously made some pretzel rolls for sandwiches/burgers using the boiling water with baking soda.. I was really happy with my results but everyone online kept raving about using lye to make pretzels.

A while back I got some food grade lye on amazon and this morning decided to go ahead and try it out. The recipe I used was from King Arthur for pretzel bites and I just halved it and made two larger pretzels. I was really happy with these. They are Bavarian style, so the one section is kind of fat. I didn't score deep enough to get the separation I wanted but all in all I can't complain.

Thought I would share. If you like pretzels, the lye is inexpensive and the bread recipe is super simple. It's a great unique snack I can whip up inside an hour for people anytime I want..

Brown Food Pretzel Ingredient Staple food

Food Ingredient Staple food Recipe Baked goods

·
Super Moderator
4,716 Posts
Have you made pretzels before, using baking soda for the dip? If so, how did they compare to the lye dip? I haven't done the lye dip yet, but have been happy with the baking soda dip and still get a good flavor and texture, if not perfect.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Pete.. Yes I actually said in my post the only previous time I did the baking soda method. I made rolls and with the addition of a light egg wash I got beautiful color and the flavor was on point. After making the pretzels this morning, I think people are just elitist and proud they got their hands on lye and so they have to extort it as superior. It's not superior. It's different.. if I want a soft pretzel though, the boiling and baking soda isn't going to hit that mark. I consider them two separate products though, how many people actually expect or may want a chewy pretzel.. this lye version does not provide chew.

Here are the rolls I did years ago..
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Baked goods

·
Super Moderator
4,716 Posts
Sorry, I missed that on my first reading of your post. Glad to hear that lye really isn't that superior. I'll stick with baking soda and not bother to seek out lye.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.