Chef Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I got a wild hair today and gave macarons a try. Tedious work, but all in all not too hard. We made a ganache for the filling. I found out I am terrible at piping, so my wife took over at that point. Below are some photos of the cookies. They are still cooking at the moment. We did get a few cracks on the side, but those where the ones I piped. Not sure if that can a deal breaker with these.

Let us know what you think of the finished product, and any tips that you are willing to share for a better macaron.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We just made them today. The ganache has just started to set up well. I'm thinking later tonight I will be able to put them together.

I was just to curious how they turned out and tried one. What's the title on the book? I I'm not good with French, but can find my way around.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Fwiw try baking macaroons about in the lower third of the oven and compare those baked in the upper third (and add approx 25% more baking time).  The ones baked in the upper third should have a great and delicate crunch.  Oven placement matters greatly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ welldonechef: After maturing the macarons turned out very well. I was a bit sceptical at first. Thank you so much for the advice. Also thank you for the lead on the book. It's on order.

@ kokopuffs: we took the lower third rule into account while making these, but never considered the upper third for crunch. We may give that a try on a sheet next go around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.