Chef Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
3,455 Posts
QUOTE:

Ive worked in commercial kitchens both mats and bare floor. Youve mentioned some down sides, mainly theyre a lot of work to clean, especially the ones with holes, theyre heavy and dificult to handle. Thus its us guys who usually haul em off the floor to clean.
IMO the holy ones suck. There are solid, non slip mats that are easier to keep clean, nothing "goes down" inside, you just sweep or damp mop the mats in place, when the floor gets too crudded up you move them to mop.
So why have em? Two reasons. One theyre non slip. And if you do fall, you have some cush for whatever hits.
Second, maybe cuz Im up 30 or 40 lbs, but the difference between walking back and forth for 10 hours on rubber mats vs bare tile floor is quite noticeable to me. I feel it in my feet, shins, back and even shoulders.
So to summarize I prefer solid rubber non slip

QUOTE:

I owned 3 places for a touch over 20 years... Old school was the mats with the holes... horrible.... you can never really get them clean. Health dept in Los Angeles now cracked down on cleaning them outside. Must be cleaned in the dishwasher.. have to wash 1/2 at a time since to big.

I went to thiner non slip mat with no holes. I wanted nothing on the line, but my insurance company said.. "bad idea if someone slips. You could be found negligent" so mats were back

For me, its all about the shoes not the mats. I switch between Birkenstocks and wood base clogs. Stopped all ankle, knee and back pain

There are upsides and downsides to the mats with holes. In many places I worked, we rolled them up and ran them through the dish washer a couple times at the end of the night.

If during the day something drops on the floor and goes into those holes, we were used to pulling up that section, to clean the mess then lay the mat back down.

Tripping over the mat happens no matter what.

Not paying attention to your work environment is another issue all together.

You work in a kitchen with sharp knives, equipment everywhere, and danger lurks around the next corner if you're not paying attention.

"Failure Is Not An Option"

QQUOTE: mats.,

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.