·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Sevrugia caviar (never had the bucks)
Softshell crabs (never had the nerve)

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I would love to expereance the whole blowfish phenomanon (sp)The whole idea of the danger,rarity,flavor and that you have to be reconized by the japanese goverment to be able to prepare this fish is all very inticing.albit very expensive

·
Registered
618 Posts
yes, i have to admit that "tiger fugu" would be on my list. Why?, well it probably tastes like **** , but to put ones faith in anothers skill and knowledge and walk away pleased (hehe and alive) would be really cool.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Apparently in Japan's fugu restaurant the big joke is to drop your chopsticks. Everyone stop eating to stare at you and when they realize you are well and alive and not paralized they all laugh together.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Close to wild shrooms....we have disclosures people sign when they join or eat with us....
I'm OK with cooking them for a group until we get some outsiders that have not tried them before...then we find out in the middle of the woods wether they are allergic or not!
Noone has had a severe reaction to morels, chanterelles, boletes, black trumpets, chicken of the woods, hen of the woods...
I don't cook or eat unidentifieds and at least 3-4 kids die each year from eating Amanetas (Death Cap) thinking they'll get high I guess. POT LUCKS are always exciting!
I skirt the dishes I don't know the hunters.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Maryeo, I wouldn't be adventerous with softshell crabs in WISCONSIN of all places. I'll wait until I visit my brother in Bawlmer sometime! (By the way, we had a fabulous meal there at Charleston last July...)

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Chef Mark hayes, Not many seafood restaurants serve sea urchin. Also you haven't missed much,unless you like the texure of raw egg yolk. As for being a loser-get a grip,there are just to many things to try in our field,and to have not tried something even if you in the line of buisness does not make one a loser. Just gives us something else to look forword to

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Yep!
Foie Gras.....pretty darn great in the hands of someone that knows what to do with it.....
Not livery at all.
I had uni at the Beard house served as an ice in a cracker cone for an app....interesting.....great dinner.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Maryeo, it was fabulous. I had a soup with crab and curry, duck with a fruit/wine reduction (can't remember the details there, sorry) and a satisfying cab sauvignon. It was a wonderful reunion with two of my brothers and their wives, plus two of our birthdays, so that added to the enjoyment. FOH staff was top rate. The six of us ate for about $550, including HDs and a bit of wine. We went to Little Italy for dessert, so we missed that. I'd recommend it strongly!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
MaryeO, Best crabcakes I have ever eaten come from Faidley's in the Lexington Market. I
have a healthy appetite and I can maybe get through 1 1/2 of them!

Food I most want to try? I've been pretty lucky so far! I'd really have to reach :)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MaryeO,

Don't you hate that when a business closes and you loved their food? I once read an article recipes from long gone restaurants. There should be a website devoted to this if there isn't one already.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.