Chef Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a tradition for Chefs to honor a friend or event by naming a dish after them. Think Ceasar Salad, Seafood Newburg, just to name a couple.
My friend Carol has been dealing with health issues for many years.
She and her husband Steve owned and operated a small restaurant here that served breakfast and lunch.
This time around however cancer has creeped into her life and is eating her from the inside out.
At one of our many get togethers Carol made a sweet potato dish that impressed me so much, that I've decided to honor her by renaming it. I am publishing this in here honor. I present:

Sweet Potatoes Walker
4 cups sweet potatoes peeled and cubed into 1" pieces
1 large can Pineapple chunks, drained and juices reserved
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 maple syrup (the real stuff if you can get it)
1/4 cup of the reserved juice.
4 tablespoon soft butter
Salt and Pepper

Use 1 tablespoon of butter to grease a 2-quart baking dish.
Place half the sweet potatoes as the first layer and season them with salt and pepper.
Now layer half of the pineapple chucks on top followed by the remaining sweet potatoes, season again then top with the remaining pineapple chunks.
In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, maple syrup and reserved pineapple juice. Bring this mixture to a simmer, then pour over the potato/pineapple mixture.
Dot with the remaining 3 tablespoons of softened butter.
Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes until the potatoes are browned and the mixture is bubbling.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts