Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
My father-in-law, of italian descent, introduced me to banga cauda years ago. He said it was a "peasant" dish, and when he was growing up it was served in a pot in the middle of the table and everyone dipped into the pot.

His recipe was different than yours, using oil, butter, sardines and anchovies. It is served hot and the "dippers" were french bread (untoasted) and celery. I was warned never to drink anything cold with it as strange things would happen in your stomach. Hot coffee and tea were served.

My in-laws think this was very "cleansing" for their system.

very tasty!

H.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Athenaeus,

Believe me, you don't want to know more about this particular recipe. It has been "Americanized" by my mother-in-law--what was once probably olive oil is now Mazola oil, butter is now Imperial margarine, and the fish are from small tins found in the supermarket. It's unique, but probably not like the original.

The grandparents were from a little village outside of Milano and were poor and uneducated and made their way by hard work in the coal mines and raised their vegetables, made wine, sausage, etc. That is all that I know.

P.S. I got a good laugh when I clicked on the link at the bottom of your message. What a semse pf humor you have!

H.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.