Chef Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just have to tell you I published the recipe for Bagna Cauda on my site over a year ago from my most prolific contributor, Shirley Cline, who lives in San Fransisco but whose family originally came from Piedmont. This is what was published:

Bagna Cauda

This is one of the recipes that has been provided by Shirley Cline from San Fransisco. Shirley had this to say:

"This dish comes from my grandparents' home town of Piedmont, Italy. As Catholics, we often had this on a Friday, when we couldn't have meat. Bagna Cauda (pronounced Bon'-ya Cod'da) means "hot bath" and is served with raw vegetables for dipping such as cabbage, bell peppers (red-green-yellow), fennel, cauliflower and celery. The vegetables are dipped into the sauce and then eaten with a slice of bread held underneath to catch any drippings. Once the bread is soaked with the sauce, it is eaten too ".

Ingredients

3/4 cup olive oil
6 Tblsp. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
12 anchovy fillets, mashed (Italian Deli should have the meaty anchovies which are better than canned)
6 large garlic cloves, chopped fine
Chopped assorted fresh vegetables, cut into bite-size pieces
1 (1 lb.) loaf Italian or French bread, cut into 2" sections

Method

If you do not wish to mash and chop by hand, you can blend oil, butter, anchovies and garlic in a food processor until smooth. Transfer oil mixture to a heavy medium saucepan. Cook over a low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally (the sauce will separate). Season with pepper.

Pour the sauce into a fondue pot or other flameproof casserole and set over a table burner to keep warm. Serve with the vegetables and bread.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.