Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suzanne, I noticed in your post about your birthday dinner at Craft that you enjoyed Cardoons for the first time. Knowing your background a bit, I am sure you probably already no this ,But I thought it worth sharing. although they do not look the same,Cardoons and artichokes are related, The cardoon is best for it's tender inner leaves. If you ever use it, make sure to peel it and let sit in acidulated water because they oxidise very quickly.

But there is this dish i want to tell you about.
it is called "bagna cauda"This dish comes from the Piedmont region of Italy. This dish is prepared in November to celebrate the arrival of Italys "Novella" wines. These wines are made in the same fashion of Nouveau wines. Bagna cauda incorparates a number of things, some from the sea and some from farmers and some from the olive groves. Fresh young olive oil is slowy warmed with a million cloves of garlic and tones of anchovies in a black kettle in an open hearth until the garlic and anchovies literally melt in to the oil. Then new harvested Cardoons, baby artichokes,peppers and the like are dipped into this incredible bath. You always have a slice of wonderful italian bread in hand and as you dip the vegetables and bring it to your mouth you hold the bread under the dripping oil to soak it up.Then when the bread is swimming with this oil down the hatch it goes.

I posted this a long time ago about bagna cauda, It's a simple dish because it relys on simply ingredients at there peek.

Give a try someday, You should still be able to find cardoons for this
cc

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your most welcome Athenaues,
I am glad I brought back some happy memories for you.

One word of caution when useing the best olives oils, Make sure (if you don't have an open heart) that you heat this mixture VERY slowly to maintain the sutle fruity charector of the oil.
cc

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.