Chef Forum banner

Gadgets

5K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  kaneohegirlinaz 
#1 ·
What is your favorite gadget? The one item that nobody needs but you absolutely love.

#3 ·
Hi Mez,

What's a "batti carni"?

I have a small gadget for julienning green beans.

Also love my little garlic mandoline. It gives me nice paper thin slices on one side and the other side purées it.

#4 ·
I love my mandoline and my food mill not sure if htey qualify as gadget though.

Kimmie I am curious where did you find a garlic mandoline??

#6 ·
A batti carne (spelling???) is what you use to flatten veal scallops, chicken breast, etc. I think carne/carni means meat. Batti may mean beat. I won't go there.....

#7 ·
I have my tomato shark, it's basically a miniature mellon baller, with a serrated scoop, used for coring tomatoes. I also have a mini garlic slicer, I got it at liquidation world for $0.99, it's pretty cool, although the coolest gadget I've ever seen in the kitchen, is the pocket blow torch, I would really like to get one of those.

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: coolJ ]

#8 ·
Gotcha Mez!

Sisi and Svadhisthana,

I had to send someone on holidays in Texas to pick one up for me at Williams-Sonoma. But don't cry, I think I saw it at La Soupière...

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

#10 ·
That's the one. Glad you found it.

In exchange, I want you to tell me how to do that "here" thing...pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase!!

:D

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

#11 ·
You will have to pry my stick blender out of my cold dead fingers. Yes, I could use a whisk for most of the things I do with it, but I love my stick blender. Also love my vacuum sealer. Allows me to buy big hunks of good cheese [good, not great - unless I buy by mail I'm not going to get great here] and reseal it so that it stays fresh for months, which is a good thing for us home cooks. I also use it to preserve bulk yeast so that I only spen $3-4 per year on yeast.

#14 ·
Yep! I also use it to purée ginger. Makes nice slices too on the reverse side.

Another thing I love is the "Great Grater" from Martha Stewart. Talk about multitasking, this thing grates cheese, chocolate, garlic, ginger, it's fantastic for zesting either an orange or a lemon or a lime. I paid way too much for it (canadian exchange and all) but it's a very versatile "toy".

:cool:

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

#15 ·
My stock/soup/gumbo skimmer. I do not have the fine motor skills necessary to skim stock with a metal spoon or ladle.
Following the Path of Least Resistance....

PS Mezz, thank you for your restraint
:)

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

#23 ·
My garnishing tool kit. I can do so many fun things with fruits and vegetables, and the girls at the sorority are as cute as little kids with the things I make. A simple example of their youthful exuberence...I bought a new gold fish bowl and filled it with blue jello and let it thicken in the fridge. Then I put a few gummy gold fish in and let the jello harden. You wouldn't believe how many college girls went fishing for the gummies! :)

#25 ·
does anybody know where to find a "microplane grater"? It is a flat piece of stainless steel, about 7-8" long and 2 inches wide with tiny holes (not portrusions)all over. I see it used alot on the food network and cant seem to find them (let alone anybody who has heard of them) anywhere. would appreciate any help.

#26 ·
You should find it easily in good kitchen stores. If you wish to shop on the net, www.marthastewart.com carries one under the name of "Great Grater". You could also do a search through google.com. Just click here for google.com

and welcome to Cheftalk, chouxbacca.

:)

[ August 29, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.