Chef Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody get the kitchen blues? I sometimes feel the weight of the world, trying to please clients, staff and management all at the same (impossible) time. Sometimes it is just a negativity from progress not happening, or stalling. And then, of course, negative energy gets contagious. Sometimes it feels like the towel is about to get thrown in. How do you bounce back?
I don't think I am the only one... just from seeing all the 'burn-out'.
Any input would be great...Thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Brighten up!Smile let good energy flow in. I knew a chef once who when conforted by bad vibes use to break a plate! It's hard when to take a vacation or time off I know. You're always afraid things can't go right when you're absent. Maybe....
Go eat! When i go and eat a really good dinner I just want to storm back to the kitchen and create something beatiful.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the insight! I think going out to dine and enjoy the 'fruits' of somebody else's hard work may be good therapy. I guess I worry about discouragement from long-term problems i.e. staff turmoil, profitability, stagnant growth. I guess those items are more part of the business rather than bumps in the road.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Jim, I think you're right, it is just business. Some days are better than others. Go some place where strangers cook and clean and you may be inspired or just realize not everyone is as professional or as talented as you and your staff. Go look at something beautiful, or listen to music, sometimes you can find something in an unrelated field. Whichever, it feels good to go into the kitchen a-new.
I do like the hockey idea..... I am going to try kick boxing.
Talking to folks in a different industry is fun too... they often can't believe our crazy hours, awsome responsibilitys or the physical demands of the kitchen.
I have often thought if you want the potholes filled in NYC, hire cooks. We never stop until the job is done.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
M-
I always appreciate your insight! I have renewed my interest in gardening; nothing like relieving the days' stress by digging holes.
Anyhow, I think I just need to take the insight you and the other respondents have offered and work through the blues. It just gets me down sometimes. But, hey, at least I am not alone. I take solace in that!
Again, thanks!
-Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.