Chef Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a recipe, written in the 50s-60s (written then but could be older than that). It is for a Victory Lemon Cake and calls for 1/2 cup "Glassed Syrup". What is it? A search on the Internet turns up nothing. My assumption is that it is corn syrup. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Corn syrup seems the most obvious depending on what kind of book your using, it also could be simple syrup if it's from a pro-book.

If you post your recipe it will be pretty clear. Is it baked into the cake, brushed on it or in the frosting?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the recipe (original), and it's not from a book; it's from a handwritten recipe I found in a collection of recipes and cookbooks from an estate auction. It is baked into the cake. My fault, it was 1 c, not a 1/2 cup, as previously asked.

1 3/4 c. sifted cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. shortening
1/3 c. granulated sugar
1 c. glassed syrup
2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
1/2 tsp. lemon extract

Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Cream shortening until soft, add sugar gradually. Then slowly blend in syrup. Add eggs in 4 portions, blending well after each addition. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk, beating well after each. Stir in lemon rind and extract. Line 2 8" layer cake pans with wax paper. Grease side of pans and over wax paper. Pour in batter, and bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes. Cool in pans at least 10 minutes before removing.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It would have to be light corn syrup. Molasses was very popular in the past but that wouldn't make a pleasant lemon cake! It's definately not looking for a simple syrup either.

It is different (I've never worked a cake with corn syrup before that I can recall), but it must be corn syrup.

Hope you'll let us know how it turned out???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.