Chef Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holiday Pound Cake.......
Would like a drizzle of chocolate on the cake.
Something that will be completely hard when covered with a cellophane wrapping.

Do you recommend using coating chocolate? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I wouldn't recommend compound chocolate in this application. It's not very good tasting and I only use compond chocolate sparingly when no one is going to eat much of it. How about using an inexpensive chocolate, for instance the 'Sams' Club' in my area sells a 10# bag of chocolate chips for around $7.oo (I beleive).

You realize that if it's totally hard (so it looks good for you) it will just break off in big chunks when the person cuts it? I don't quite know what you have in mind, but my first choice would be to glaze it instead of using chocolate. If I really wanted chocolate to flavor it, I'd use a marbled pound cake recipe instead, or put mini chocolate chips in your current recipe.

My two cents

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I guess I worded it wrong. Not hard chocolate! I know coating can be strange. Has anyone used the glazes from CB, Braun, Carma, Felchin?

Maybe I need a crusting type of icing. So, that wrapping it won't smudge the glaze. Any recipes? I think ganache would be too soft.:p

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think a stiffer ganache would work(75% chocolate 25% cream) or even just thinning chocolate with some butter(or even chocolate chips with the butter). Problem I've had with the chocolate glazes(pate a glacer dark) is that the loaf sucks up the moisture in the glaze and it turns brittle after a day.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I've used Carma, and it's fine for a little drizzle, but if you plan to cover the top of the cake in chocolate, it's greasy! Angry's idea of mixing butter w/ choc. sounds good; it will soften the chocolate up a bit.

2 other ideas:

1. Maybe you can make a sort-of tent with cellophane, so that it doesn't touch the top, and this way, you cna have a nice gooey glaze.

2. Do a gooey glaze, and top it with chocolate shavings, so that it doesn't stick to the wrapping.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Momoreg and Angrychef, and W.Debord for the input.
Gonna try them.
Hey by the way Momoreg, where's that great cake everyone's talking about?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.