I recently got a manual pasta machine. You may recall that I received an all-in-one machine from my Aunty Rose (which works great), but I wanted to also have the option of literally cranking out my own fresh pasta.

The Gluten Free Girl has a fantastic recipe for fresh pasta that I had been meaning to try ever since I saw it months ago.

ball of pasta dough on counter top

With a few whirs of the food processor and a few turns on the countertop, I had a smooth and silky pasta dough!

As promised, this dough rolled out paper thin!!!

pasta dough being flattened through pasta machine

You can see my finger through the dough! I did a little dance. Seriously. I totally did.

The dough also cut beautifully. Before I knew it, I had a little pile of glorious, gluten free ribbons.

pasta dough cut into strips

We had these tossed with some garlic infused butter and peas as a side dish. So yummy! I can't wait to make them again!

Gluten Free Fresh Pasta
adapted from Gluten Free Girl (I usually just embed a link to other people's original recipes rather than copy and paste or retype them, however, the link feature isn't working on my wordpress app so I had to do it the old fashioned way. Sorry, Shauna AKA The Gluten Free Girl.)

3 ounces quinoa flour (Shauna uses garbanzo fava flour)
3 ounces millet flour
3 ounces potato starch
1 teaspoon psyllium husk powder
pinch ground nutmeg (freshly grated, if you can)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 extra-large egg
3 egg yolks from extra-large eggs
1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 to 2 tablespoons water

Combine the flours, psyllium powder, nutmeg, and salt in the bowl of the food processor to combine and aerate the flours.

Mix the egg, egg yolks, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the water. Pour the liquid into the flours. Run the food processor on pulse 8 to 10 times, then look at the dough. If the dough has formed crumbs that look like dry cheese curds, you’'re done. If they are a little too dry, add the remaining olive oil, then pulse, look, then add more water, if necessary. If the dough looks a bit too wet, add another tablespoon of flour.

Turn out onto a dry, clean surface.

Take a few moments to knead the dough, gently. Push forward on the ball of dough with your hand, then fold the ball back on itself toward you. Rotate the dough and repeat until the dough feels supple and smooth.

Once you have your ball of dough, whether you made it with the food processor or by hand, wrap up the dough in plastic wrap. Let it sit for 30 minutes at room temperature.

After the pasta rests, cut it into quarters and roll and cut with your pasta machine, or by hand.

You may now cook your pasta. Fill a large pan with water and enough salt to make it taste like the ocean. When the water is boiling, gently nudge your noodles into the water and cook until they are soft but still have a bit of a bite, about 2 to 3 minutes. (Don’t overcrowd the pan. You might have to cook this in 2 batches.) Drain immediately, reserving a bit of the cooking water for any sauce you might be making. Toss the noodles with a bit of oil to coat. Serve with your favourite sauce.