Chef Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....I'm currently in a position where I am the Executive Chef and recently added GM duties in a business I've been building almost a year. Owner is great, we have 4 mini kitchens which allows for a ton of creativity and fun.

Get a random call from a large, respected restaurant group in a 5 diamond resort willing to pay very well with great benefits in a beautiful (and expensive) area.

I have a family or the employee housing would be fine. Without too many details, where would your heart Guide you? I struggle with assurance with a successful company at a world famous resort vs a new concept in a low population area where I can literally do whatever I want as long as I'm doing well financially. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
This one is about the family. Would you be moving and how far? If so, how does your family feel about the possible move? Are the kids settled in a good school with friends and activities? Does your wife like where you are now and has friends and routines she likes? If money isn't the issue, then family is.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Bird in the hand....

Working relationships cover so much ground and are absolutely valuable above and beyond so much salary.
Sure, you want to provide for your family...I get that. It's a tempting offer.

But why is the position vacant?
Why did the last guy leave?

Of course everyone can move up....but how much is enough? Stability and security are myths. How many jobs evaporated when Covid hit? It's not like anybody could do anything to help alleviate that nightmare. A LOT of people are still digging out financially from that. BIg companies are going belly up....some are in process of doing that still. Names you like and are highly recognizable.

I get calls all the time for great jobs and opportunities. I ignore them. However, I do have an "unemployment fund" as well for taking care of suddenly unemployed situations.

I recommend that you (and everyone)do the same.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with most of what you're saying but neither of these companies will ever go belly up, both kept the entire management team through covid. Guaranteed six figures where I have to build it myself for every dollar out there where I am currently, not to forget 5 weeks paid time off every year.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree with most of what you're saying but neither of these companies will ever go belly up, both kept the entire management team through covid. Guaranteed six figures where I have to build it myself for every dollar out there where I am currently, not to forget 5 weeks paid time off every year.
Yes....and there's something to be said about building a customer base and volume all based on your talents. Building your own place is no less rewarding on a personal note.

As far as the kids go...
One day they leave home and can only seem to recall every mistake (real or imagined) you ever made and the Netflix password.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts