Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's why almost all of our restaurants in the U.S. are average at best....

Damn near all the population is average at best, especially when it comes to work ethic.
It's why Michelin star restaurants are so incredibly RARE.

Is making amazing food to feed to a large quantity of people at a decent price really rocket surgery? No , but when you're working with a population that does not have a great work ethic nor the desire to posses a great work ethic ... Running a restaurant...
OR simply just WORKING in a restaurant becomes much harder if you're somebody who wants to do things the right way, and not half @ss things just to save .50 cents or 10 extra minutes of hard work.

·
Registered
103 Posts
All I'm saying is... I know what you mean.

I'm still VERY new to the industry , only been a line cook for 10 years now.

However, I know the MAIN reason this industry is looked at as "SO HARD" to succeed and have a good career in.... Is simply because , the people chefs have to work with in this country, are quite simply, LAZY.

If I could clone myself or another solid cook/chef that I know, I would have 3 or 4 Michelin star restaurants within a few years.
Am I that good? Hell to the NO. Am I better than 75% of the other people I've seen linecook in my life? Yeah.
As I say, "I suck, I'm not good, but I'm a lot better than the rest of these idiots."

Somehow I think...damn near any other industrialized country would be significantly easier to make amazing restaurants in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Great post, KK! The mentors who do the most for us very often are not the ones we "like" or think of as our friends. As a chef I try to develop and mentor my staff as best I can but my main priority is to insure that the restaurant makes money. That's my bottom line. If I coddle the cooks and let them do whatever they might be happy but when the place goes down the drain they'll be out on the bricks looking for work. I really try to set a good example by letting them know that I work harder than they do. It's a balancing act to be sure. Typically the best use of my time is not cleaning the grease trap. But at the same time I did spend a couple hours pounding it out in the dishroom Sunday night. I think it's important to let people know that no one is "too good" for any job, and that includes me.

Next to demonstrating work ethic I think it's important to be fair to the guys and gals you lead. It's expected that you'll like some of them more than others on a personal level but the staff has to know that you will treat everyone the same.

Not everyone will always like you but if you treat people with respect and dignity and keep your word when you give it, it will go a long way towards keeping the team all working with you instead of against you.
Good, solid points.
I agree 100%.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.